Ludwig Hercules Thumb Screws? What’s the difference sizes mean?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Two males and a female.

the shorter male goes- on a 70s Atlas Cymbal Stand--- at the bottom. At the (3 leg) Tripod...
the longer male goes into first (from the bottom) tier adjuster

I dunno where the female goes (either at the cymbal tilter? or could be? used on the twin tom mount)

But on the Cymbal stand I just checked- and the two males went where I said.
That 3rd male with the tapered end wasn't on the cymbal stand (of mine..

*possible the 3rd male tapered end One goes in the base of the twin tom post holder base part..
90% positive the tapered male went into twin tom mount Base bd plate. ok 89.9% positive

Last edited:

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think you're correct on both the female - cymbal tilter - and the tapered end male - twin tom post bracket. The tapered end keeps the threads from deforming so when the plastic handle breaks or comes loose from the metal shaft you can remove it and replace it with an all metal T handle.
Those knobs were notorious for breaking off or coming loose from the metal shaft. I have an Atlas snare stand that uses one of those - now that I think about it, it's a female end also - and the plastic had split, making it impossible to tighten down. I went to the local music store looking for a replacement, and the owner of the store - a guitar player - looked at it and said "Why don't you put a hose clamp around it?" I did, and it worked. That was about 30 years ago, and it still works.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think you're correct on both the female - cymbal tilter - and the tapered end male - twin tom post bracket. The tapered end keeps the threads from deforming so when the plastic handle breaks or comes loose from the metal shaft you can remove it and replace it with an all metal T handle.
Those knobs were notorious for breaking off or coming loose from the metal shaft. I have an Atlas snare stand that uses one of those - now that I think about it, it's a female end also - and the plastic had split, making it impossible to tighten down. I went to the local music store looking for a replacement, and the owner of the store - a guitar player - looked at it and said "Why don't you put a hose clamp around it?" I did, and it worked. That was about 30 years ago, and it still works.
Excellent AR!

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep -Female wing nut goes at the tilter and the boom ratchet. The smaller on the left goes at the base of the tripod legs. The one on the right goes to the center and upper tubes. The one in the middle has finer threads and the solid nub beyond the threads... High hat clutch maybe? I dunno.

Reactions: JDA

Latest posts