Ludwig jazette .... here in Ottawa .... !!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree. One assumes the seller can read a ruler but a 3 ply 12" tom should have the smaller lugs.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
The link works for me, but since the kijiji ad will eventually go away...

Early 1970s Ludwig 3 ply, clear maple interior Jazzette kit with 12” rack tom, 14” floor tom, and rare 18” x 12” bass drum.
Price is $1600 FIRM.

(I presume CAD1600 since it is an Ottawa Ad)

ludjaz1.JPG
ludjaz2.JPG

...and I certainly no longer presume sellers can read a ruler, use a scale, or count plies. There is too much contradictory evidence. :glasses8:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Have you got a link to the eBay auction Joe? I don't see it on a quick eBay search (current or completed).

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
nope I got the pics from the Kijiji
only posted mine because came out a lil larger, (otherwise I would have erased them))

(they do have an ebayish address tho don't they..

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
only posted mine because came out a lil larger, (otherwise I would have erased them))

Now I'm wondering about a scam. Or (being cheritable) a quick buy and flip?

That URL is the seller on kijiji using photos stored on Bay, but there doesn't seem to be a corresponding ad nor a completed one within the last two months. I know that the images don't get removed promptly after a few months, but open links to them do. Smells fishy.

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

The Kijiji (our Canadian CL) logo looks like the eBay logo precisely because they were acquired/are owned by eBay.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
The Kijiji (our Canadian CL) logo looks like the eBay logo precisely because they were acquired/are owned by eBay.
I'm talking about a URL image pointing into eBay servers, not something on the surface like a logo. But if eBay bought Kijiji then that removes the worry about a scam reusing photos.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
OttowaDG, that would be a record-setting walk if it were me!
Like Donovan Bailey speed-walking pace!

But the 12" tom does seem weird with those massive lugs.......could it be a 13/16/18?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Center mounted rail is a bit out of the norm?.............well at least I thought it was............since corrected.

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Center mounted rail is a bit out of the norm.
Do you mean that center mounted rail is not quite positioned correctly for a Jazzettte bass? It looks like the standard position for those to my eyes. Mine is 1969/70 and also has the small Classic lugs.

jazetfr.JPG

I have very occasionally seem an 18" Ludwig bass which has the rail mount off center as if it were a 20" or 22" bass.

But the 12" tom does seem weird with those massive lugs.......could it be a 13/16/18?
Yes the small Classic lugs are usually found on the 12" tom but there are some from a few years later in the 1970s which have the large Classic lugs on the 12" tom. This is black one which is reputed to have been a Roy Haynes owned kit.

(pics coming if can find them on an old disk drive 3 computers ago -- no luck so far)

As to size of the tom on that one, I put my 12" on top of my 14" and the gap around the edge looked close enough to what I see in the photo on Kijiji, so I think it might be a 12" not a 13". When I put a 13" tom on my 14" the rims touch. If you have a 12" a 13" and a 14" you can try it yourself and will probably be convinced it is a 12" as I am.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Center mounted rail is a bit out of the norm.
double-click

and I want a 10,000 word essay on the 71-1 Ludwig catalog on my desk by Monday morning,.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do you mean that center mounted rail is not quite positioned correctly for a Jazzettte bass? It looks like the standard position for those to my eyes. Mine is 1969/70 and also has the small Classic lugs.

View attachment 406211

I have very occasionally seem an 18" Ludwig bass which has the rail mount off center as if it were a 20" or 22" bass.

Yes the small Classic lugs are usually found on the 12" tom but there are some from a few years later in the 1970s which have the large Classic lugs on the 12" tom. This is black one which is reputed to have been a Roy Haynes owned kit.

(pics coming if can find them on an old disk drive 3 computers ago -- no luck so far)

As to size of the tom on that one, I put my 12" on top of my 14" and the gap around the edge looked close enough to what I see in the photo on Kijiji, so I think it might be a 12" not a 13". When I put a 13" tom on my 14" the rims touch. If you have a 12" a 13" and a 14" you can try it yourself and will probably be convinced it is a 12" as I am.
Like I said a 70s 3ply 12" tom SHOULD have the small lugs. Later in the 6 ply era they did use the bigger lugs on 12" drums (as they had much earlier in the late 40s). But I noticed the spacing of the two toms as well and agree that that likely is a 12 after all, albeit an oddball for the time. Ahhhh, vintage Ludwigs, the most consistent thing about them may be their inconsistencies.