Ludwig Jazz Fest 2019 reissue..will a P-83 throw-off fits same holes as current installed P-88?

richardh253

Reaction score
Thinking of a Ludwig BOP JazzFest 2019 reissue (yeah, nostalgia)....to make it more Ringo-y, would a 60s P-83 fit the same holes as the 2019 installed P-88? I happen to have an VGC 60s P-83 in my parts box. Thanks!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thinking of a Ludwig BOP JazzFest 2019 reissue (yeah, nostalgia)....to make it more Ringo-y, would a 60s P-83 fit the same holes as the 2019 installed P-88? I happen to have an VGC 60s P-83 in my parts box. Thanks!
Think K.O. just mentioned...the answer is..Yes..

ludwigjim

Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY just did a few of them.

richardh253

Reaction score
OH and....any thoughts about the 2019 Ludwig BOP wrap in contrast to WFLIII 2020 BOP wrap both compared to 1964 Ludwig BOP? Those new WFLIII Snares are really nice w/those newer deco three stripe lugs.

So hard with Ludwig! Do you keep it in the company or in the family?

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
well, nostalgic for 1964 but working with a 2020 budget :)
I get it now. Not just any Jazz Fest, but a BOP '64. I'm sort of waiting for
the new ones, in any finish, to start getting sold "used" at prices comparable to
vintage ones. But why I don' just get a vintage one now is a bit of a mystery
to me.

maxb2k

Reaction score
There certainly are some fine vintage Jazzfest examples for less money than the new 2019 Jazzfest. But if the Ringo factor, and/or the Oyster Black Pearl finish is something your after than that’s A different story.
i also think the new P88 strainer is a great design. Minimalist, form follows function, and very smooth. Certainly more reliable than the older vintage design.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just switched one earlier today, no issues. The P88 is designed to replace the P85 or P86 which were both designed along the same hole placement as the P-83.

The P88 is great but sort of defeats the whole point of buying one of these drums in the OBP wrap (at least for most buyers).

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
From a drummers perspective- what is the point- of owning an identical or a near-as possible facsimile- to a famous drummers drums -at a certain time- what is it.
I'm seriously asking that
I think this is one of those things that either you get it or you don't and never will. Not that there's anything wrong with not getting it, you're probably better for that. I can't really think of a way to put it into words but it just seems to be a thing my brain has decided it likes. Pointless from a logical standpoint, but nevertheless....

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Why do people drive around in Indy pace car replicas? Why do grown men dress up like it's the civil war or WWII and play soldier? Whole conventions of folks dressed up like their favorite superhero or star wars/trek characters. Action figures (toys) that can never be removed from the package. Etc. Etc. Just seems to be a thing humans do and this is a drummer related variation. In my defense I think the Bonham guys may carry it even further ;)

maxb2k

Reaction score
Wonder if those civil war soldiers will use the gps in their new pace cars to get to the battle field or use good ol’ fashion maps?

i think co’s like Ludwig can be a victim of their own succes. If what you say is true regarding OBP and most guys it’s a real shame. Maybe from a players perspective, they’re missing the point.
IMHO Ludwig hit the mark with the 2019 Jazzfest.
It’s faithful to the iconic 1964 drum Ringo used his entire career with the Beatles, but with a few updates which for the player is pretty cool. It’s got the correct location of strainer > badge > muffler on the drum. The white reso coat interior. The new 3 step baseball bat muffler is great.
But what I really appreciate is the P88 strainer and new butt. It’s a great design. Very smooth, and I think an instant classic.

Ludwig went back to the vintage snappy snare design as well which I think is a real upgrade from the stock snares on other models.

Latest posts