Ludwig Jazz Fest '64 snare bed?

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking for information (or rough specs) on the '64 snare bed Ludwig advertises as being on their re-issue Jazz Fest snares. I have no idea how they compare to a typical snare bed, but would appreciate any insight someone can provide!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have a '64, but I have a '65 Pioneer - I assume it's the same shell as a JF (but 6 lugs) - if someone can confirm that, I will post pics to compare to a reissue.
I don't have info about the newer snares.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think I have a '64, but I have a '65 Pioneer - I assume it's the same shell as a JF (but 6 lugs) - if someone can confirm that, I will post pics to compare to a reissue.
I don't have info about the newer snares.
Thanks, here is pic I found of the re-issue '64 snare bed:

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 12.06.05 PM.png

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, here is pic I found of the re-issue '64 snare bed:

View attachment 510902
That's pretty much the basic snare bed that was used. However, like all the other drum companies of the time, the cutting of the beds were almost never the same from drum to drum. Rogers was probably the exception, as all the wood-shell 60's snare drums I've had appear to exhibit consistent beds from shell to shell.

-Mark

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You going for period accuracy or playability? Just curious. The original beds were so narrow that snare sensitivity was abysmal. Just sayin
As long as it's deep enough, a narrow bed yields plenty of sensitivity.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As long as it's deep enough, a narrow bed yields plenty of sensitivity.
I’ve simply never had as good a responsive snare with narrow/deep beds as I have with shallow/wide beds. At least with modern plastic heads. That was the reasoning for my response.

I cut a jazz fest back and widened the beds at one point and it completely made it better. It also chopped the historic and collectible value but worked better for me.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across a NOS Ludwig classic Legacy jazz festival in anniversary Sparkle today. Red felt muffler, P88AC throw, P33? Butt, white interior paint. Here is a picture of the the bed. I was shocked to see it was $750.
I think the actual vintage drum beds are much wider. This one was nicely cut into the edge though and was sharp.

20210801_142340.jpg
20210801_142423.jpg
20210801_142346.jpg

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I've had experience cutting my own beds and have owned (and still own) a few vintage snares
I’ve simply never had as good a responsive snare with narrow/deep beds as I have with shallow/wide beds. At least with modern plastic heads. That was the reasoning for my response.

I cut a jazz fest back and widened the beds at one point and it completely made it better. It also chopped the historic and collectible value but worked better for me.
When you find something that works, stick with it, right? We all have different experiences and preferences. I currently have two old Ludwigs, a two-piece brass shell pre-20s, and a single ply mahogany standard, late 30s. Both with deepish narrow beds and plenty of sensitivity, all the way to the edge.

I still believe the reason some snare drums work for well for some, but not others, is a good setup. Finding snare wires that lay properly against the snare side head is sometimes difficult. Depending on the bed, the head is going to bow differently, so certain wire sets are going to work better or worse, depending on the geometry of the endplates, whether you use cord or straps, number of wires, etc. Then there's head and wire tension setup. Like I said, when you find a combo that works....