Ludwig Keystone X Discontinued

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Ludwig is ditching the Keystone X series and keeping the shell for the Classic Oaks.

I could never tell if the Keystone X was that popular, I personally play one in and It really fits what I need as a player but I never saw much online about them. I'm happy they are keeping the shell because I can now easily get additional pieces for my kit, but I am sad to see the badge go.

Anyone else play this kit? What do you think about the switch to the Classic Oak? Will it bring more success to an underrated shell?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to say, they had the Classic Birch for a while that never caught on. I saw pre-orders for the snares 5x14 o 6.5x14 both under $500. I might have to have one. I like the Tennessee Whiskey finish which reminds me a little of some Tama's in the 80's that I liked.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Me likes the plain Keystone and B/O badges TBH. I like their tone (based on video clips of Keystone X), but haven't seen one in person. I think they used to be cheaper so... :lurk:

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe the badge is different but I believe it was simply renamed because nobody knew it was a oak shell while the others had the wood in the name.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
It seems to be more of a rebranding than anything else. I like the new Whiskey finish. The previous natural finishes on Keystone X seemed kinda uninspired to me. I don't like the price increase.

I've been very tempted by the Keystone X kits. I have an 8x14 snare that sounds incredible (GC exclusive that has the standard keystone badge and Classic Maple sticker inside the shell for some reason).

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Keystone X was a mid level pro line priced at the 1500.00 1700.00 ish,and had a limited amount of finishes and sizes like other makers mid priced pro offerings, and had a different lug,later it looks like they went to classic lugs .Someone at NAMM said the Classic Oaks were higher priced,I am assumming that they will be offered in more sizes and finishes like the classic maples or upper pro lines whic I guess would reflect the price increase?
I guess Ludwig still believes in the maketability of the Oak shell.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was more a re-brand than anything. Having oak in the name helps identify it as having ....you know... oak in it. :icon_e_biggrin:

ludwigsok

Reaction score
Same shells + New name = Higher price. Oh well.

cafunko

Reaction score
I have Keystone X kit and I absolutely love them. For us working drummers, they are lightweight and sound great.

I've had discussions with a few people at Ludwig that have told me that the Keystone X was 'the best kept secret' in their line. I feel that the drums were never marketed properly. They weren't as many options for sizes as Classic Maples but you were able to order the Keystone X in any wrapped finish that was offered in the CM line. I have a kit in Black Galaxy.
KeystoneX.jpg
KeystoneX2.jpg

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig needs to finally understand that Classic lugs are the key to success for any line of drums that they sell. They have flirted with other lug designs on their cheaper kits for decades, only to see them linger in sales. Eventually, Ludwig relents and fits Classic lugs and sales increase. Think of the Rocker line,among others. The same will happen with the Oaks.

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Ludwig needs to finally understand that Classic lugs are the key to success for any line of drums that they sell. They have flirted with other lug designs on their cheaper kits for decades, only to see them longer in sales. Eventually, Ludwig relents and fits Classic lugs and sales increase. Think of the Rocker line,among others. The same will happen with the Oaks.

GeeDeeEmm

I agree with this. People associate Ludwig with classic looks and the lugs have had this design since 1947. Wm F Ludwig knew what he was doing!

Paiste18

Reaction score
Ludwig is ditching the Keystone X series and keeping the shell for the Classic Oaks.

I could never tell if the Keystone X was that popular, I personally play one in and It really fits what I need as a player but I never saw much online about them. I'm happy they are keeping the shell because I can now easily get additional pieces for my kit, but I am sad to see the badge go.

Anyone else play this kit? What do you think about the switch to the Classic Oak? Will it bring more success to an underrated shell?
I bought this kit May of 2019 and I'm glad I did because I would have been bummed if they discontinued it and I missed out on them. I even went with 8x14 snare drum which i'm also glad i did, I was going to go with a black beauty, but since they have discontinued this kit i'm glad I got the wood snare. You can always get a black beauty. I had a Centennial kit a few years back, but this was my first USA Ludwig kit and man what a difference. I play rock and the kit is just perfect for what I do, plus I love the 24x16 kick. I can't help but smile every time I hear it. I'm just getting into recording at home and I'm going to have lots of content coming. Anyone is welcome to check out how these drums sound through a home studio recording. Check out my Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmwPycnryDSUFCY_jfw6NDQ?view_as=subscriber

DrumSmith

Reaction score
I had a set of the original Keystone series, purchased in 2012. These were actually more maple than oak, with just the inner and outer plies being oak. So the -X update was a major redo. They were great drums, and I regret selling them. I'm sad to see the series go, as they DID provide a Classic-Maple-Quality kit for a Mapex Saturn price.

KeyStones.jpg

Paiste18

Reaction score

I have one and I absolutely love my kit. I really want to get an 18" Floor tom, but it sucks that it's gonna have a different badge. Is there no way to custom order it with the proper badge?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one and I absolutely love my kit. I really want to get an 18" Floor tom, but it sucks that it's gonna have a different badge. Is there no way to custom order it with the proper badge?
This thread is over a year old. Maybe back then when they had first discontinued, you might have been able to get one. Ludwig does tend to keep old stuff in their warehouse though. I've bought new snares from them that have been sitting "new old stock" for a few years. You can try contacting a Ludwig dealer to see and I'd also try contacting the Ludwig Factory Outlet directly. Right now they have some Keystone X items listed so you never know what else they might have available:

Good luck!