Ludwig kit ID

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what kit this is? Seller has no clue. He just says it's 1970 and "wood shells". I've attached a badge pic but there is no indication of what series Ludwig. Not sure if this would be an entry level or pro kit? Maple? Any hints would be appreciated. Junk or diamond in the rough?

Attachments

Reaction score
If you need a kit it could be gold at the right price. It could certainly be someone's pride and joy. For others, not so much. If you are in need of a kit, check it out in person. I've done national tours on a $250 kit and I've played just as well on a $5,000 kit. It will be what you make of it.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
If you need a kit it could be gold at the right price. It could certainly be someone's pride and joy. For others, not so much. If you are in need of a kit, check it out in person. I've done national tours on a $250 kit and I've played just as well on a $5,000 kit. It will be what you make of it.
Do you think they are maple or what? Beginner set? Not sure what Ludwig made back then.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't call them junk. There are others who will chime in who know the Rocker/Rocker II/Standard lines better than I. Someone here recently restored a set of these, I believe, and they look great, and he is enjoying playing them.

My ballpark on 'em? Pay $300 max. Try for $200.

BEBdrummer

Reaction score
Definitely Rockers. Not bad drums but the ones with the classic lugs are more desirable. The lugs pictured tend to break and not hold up. If it’s painted with a granitone grey interior then they are Rocker IIs. I would pay more than $200-$250

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes 80's Rockers. Some years the shells are Not so bad, BUT the worse of this kit is they are power tom sizes. Not so desirable these days. Might work for a Queen tribute band.

pjmariner

Reaction score
Definitely rockers, they are most likely 4 ply maple and poplar.

I recently restored a white set of rockers. You can check them out

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Definitely rockers, they are most likely 4 ply maple and poplar.

I recently restored a white set of rockers. You can check them out here.

Yes, this is the guy and that was thread. Check it out. pjmariner definitely gets the "I'm gettin' this s#!t done RIGHT" award, and he shows how you can bring a decent, basic kit back to life.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
P.S. I know these aren't as good as "real" Ludwigs, but they have some quality and charm.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe these are not the good ones of the 80s, at least the best value option, and appear more consistent with post Chicago Ludwig, perhaps even imports. Note the sizes are not standard and the double tom mount is the tell. Chicago era Standards and Rockers I or II with bowtie or even standard lugs can be a deal. This one will likely have “Taiwan” stamped on the hoops, etc. To put it in perspective, I paid $70 for this 1980 4 ply maple/poplar set with hardware. This is a snare that many recover to look like a Jazz Festival. Neither set is “a diamond in the rough” but this one is not “junk” either.

1617677784870.jpeg

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe these are not the good ones of the 80s, at least the best value option, and appear more consistent with post Chicago Ludwig, perhaps even imports. Note the sizes are not standard and the double tom mount is the tell. Chicago era Standards and Rockers I or II with bowtie or even standard lugs can be a deal. This one will likely have “Taiwan” stamped on the hoops, etc. To put it in perspective, I paid $70 for this 1980 4 ply maple/poplar set with hardware. This is a snare that many recover to look like a Jazz Festival. Neither set is “a diamond in the rough” but this one is not “junk” either.

View attachment 493401
Yours is clearly a couple of cuts above. But when and where, pray tell, did you get such a set for $70? You "done real good," no doubt!

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yours is clearly a couple of cuts above. But when and where, pray tell, did you get such a set for $70? You "done real good," no doubt!
Local ad in the past 5 years. Hopefully the OP can use the pic to spot the Chicago version (80-85). I gather it can be a better value.