Ludwig kit info

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post.

In the past year I have just gotten back into playing drums after about 15 yrs when my band Fallen Heroes split after our recorded demo. I have largely been a Pearl drummer altgough i have tried other brands TAMA, DW, PDP, Slingerland but never Ludwig. I found a good deal on a Ludwig Element 6pc and pulled the trigger. I loved it with some coated Ambassadors the sound was just what i wanted. I thought about upgrading further and came across another deal on a advertised Classic Maple and bought them. The sound is still what i like but im not finding much info online as to wether or not these are Classic Maples. I have never seen this tom suspenstion system and its not on my Element kit. They do look like Maple shells but im not 100 percent. any info?

Its a virgin bass drum and had a black reso head with a large font "Ludwig" logo

Also had T style tension rods which i swapped out for the standard drum key style

All the drums had metal washers which i swapped out for the nylon ones

All the reso heads said "Rockers" on the bottom which led me to believe somebody swapped the heads from a cheaper Ludwig Rocker set.

Any info is appreciated

20191115_031826.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is my Element kit which supplied the parts swap and heads. This kit is currently in storage as shells. Im working on buying the parts to replace everything and use as a backup kit
received_507046723470461.jpeg

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the badge. Each drum has 2 badges one like this, the other has a serial number which yielded no results in a search
20191116_062855.jpg

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Based on the tom sizes, they are probably 6 ply maple/poplar Classic or 4 Ply maple/poplar Super Classic as opposed to Classic Maple. Someone who could date the badge would have a more definitive answer.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig sold their heads under several names based on the film thickness. Rockers were the ones that they marketed to rock players so they were their quality drum heads. They have nothing to do with the Rockers drums which was a lower tier line of drums.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I would count the ply's of wood inside. 6 play classics with a Monroe badge lasted until around 1996 or so and then 9-ply classic maple started. You also might be able to find a date stamp inside. The look like nice drums and while many hated the modular mounting system, I actually liked it.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, they look exactly (same color, Red Cherry Stain) like my late 80's so I'm told. Maple/Poplar/Maple, I believe and I think they were Ludwig Classic back then. I don't really know the differance but some drums then were called Rockers and my 16 and 18 toms did come with Rocker reso heads. I couldn't tell by the picture but my 16x22 bass came with four curved legs, I only use two. I have a large kit, purchased in '94 and love that kit, I'll never sell it. They have a great sound and they are heavy. I later changed the 16x18 floor tom to a bass drum to save on weight and space for smaller stages. BTW: The 16x16 and 16x18 floor toms also came with modular mounts and were both hanging from a single stand. I later added legs.

I removed the Modular Mounts and used the RIM's mounting system for many years, then changed to ATLAS mounting for a cleaner look. Changing mounts really improved the sound and resonance.

I saved all the mounting hardware and never plugged the holes, they are mounted with the holes facing me, no one ever notices. One of my friends has been playing music with me for years and only recently noticed the holes. LOL It's my practice kit now, I purchased a new and smaller Classic Maple set for gigging about a year ago. I'm 75 now and planning to restore it back to normal with modular mounts. My daughter will have the set when I kick the bucket. I will explain all the details to her and her husband so they know the value.

Hope you will enjoy your kit.

sherm

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post.

In the past year I have just gotten back into playing drums after about 15 yrs when my band Fallen Heroes split after our recorded demo. I have largely been a Pearl drummer altgough i have tried other brands TAMA, DW, PDP, Slingerland but never Ludwig. I found a good deal on a Ludwig Element 6pc and pulled the trigger. I loved it with some coated Ambassadors the sound was just what i wanted. I thought about upgrading further and came across another deal on a advertised Classic Maple and bought them. The sound is still what i like but im not finding much info online as to wether or not these are Classic Maples. I have never seen this tom suspenstion system and its not on my Element kit. They do look like Maple shells but im not 100 percent. any info?

Its a virgin bass drum and had a black reso head with a large font "Ludwig" logo

Also had T style tension rods which i swapped out for the standard drum key style

All the drums had metal washers which i swapped out for the nylon ones

All the reso heads said "Rockers" on the bottom which led me to believe somebody swapped the heads from a cheaper Ludwig Rocker set.

Any info is appreciated

View attachment 416397
Classic Maple came out in 1998.
Originally a 9 ply shell, the layup changed to 7 ply around 2002.
Always 6mm thick. Always 100% Maple.
Some called 6 ply Classic "Classic Maple" because they say its what it said on the box when they bought the drums.
Maybe so, but Ludwig now makes an actual series "Classic Maple" and its different from the old 6-ply "Classic" shell.
The old 6 ply shell is Maple/Poplar composite and about 3/8" thick.
Different sound.
The serial # on your badge is similar to mine, but even Ludwig says that with the Classic Maple drums, the serial number guide goes out the window.
That really only apples to older shells.
Ludwig is famous for "date coding" on the inside of the shells.
Series of numbers, or letters and numbers or words and numbers.
Bass and toms on my kit read "6 99" but my snare drum says "March 1998".
Look inside of your shells and see if you don't see something similar.
Tell us what it says and that should let everyone know what it is.
5 and 6 ply composite shell construction ended in the spring of 1998, although it took the rest of the year for them to deplete their stock of shells.
9 ply simple shell construction started at the beginning of 1998.
So if the date stamp reads older than 1998, you either have a Classic shell or a Super Classic shell, depending on the layup.
The date code should be an ink stamp on the inside of the shells.

Elvis

...and mine are Cherry lacquer, too...

LudwigKit01.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok so i counted the ply and got 5 not sure whats going on maybe i have been out of it so long I have become a newbie again. Ill post a pic so you guys can tell for sure. It does look like theres a layer of poplar which is disappointing since i thought i had a set the pros use like Alex Van Halen lol. There is dates stamped on the inside of the shells but they arw different the 12, 16, and 22 read Mar-1997 the 10 inch tom reads 798 there was no snare and i dont use the 13 tom. again ill include pics

I was planning on using this as my gigging set with my Zildjians A's. I also have a Pearl Session Studio Classic kit that i was gonna use for home practice/recording but if these Ludwigs are not 100 percent maple maybe i won't IDK.

Where does this kit land on the food chain?

Attachments

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are Classics. 6ply Maple/Poplar, sorta hard to count the plies sometimes. Those were top of the line when they were made. Collectors don't put much value in them because they all want the 3 ply with rings that are considered vintage, where as drums from the 80's and 90's are just considered old ;) I've had a set of 6 ply since 1993 and love the sound. Nothing wrong with poplar wood, until the 90's hardly anyone was using all maple and most didn't care. These drums are perfect for rock as they can be hit hard and will sound great. I like mine with Aquarian Response 2 clears on the batter and Ludwig clear Mediums on bottom. Enjoy them.