Ludwig Kit Progress (formally help needed)

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
14" tom bracket area AFTER cleaning and polish!
A little Novus and a lot of elbow grease.

TWO SILVER SPARKLE TOMS NOW!

20200606_210953.jpg
20200606_210907.jpg

cworrick

Reaction score
AAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Just finished doing the same polishing to the floor tom.
TWICE!
NO DIFFERENCE!

Still has the "hazy green" to it.

:angryfire: :crybaby:

cworrick

Reaction score
The 13 and 14 cleaned up quick and easy with one pass over. They look great.
The 16 didn't look much better after going over it twice!

Below you can see the difference between the two. Believe it or not the 13 on the left looked worse than the 16 on the right.

Novus step 1, step 2, and step 1 again for the 13 (and 14)
The 16 did step 1, step 2, step 1, step 2 again, and step 1. You can see the color differences between where the lug casings were and were not. Anyone have any other ideas to clean the green haze off the 16?

20200608_204645.jpg
20200608_204640.jpg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Question

With all those drilled holes in the BD, would it devalue the kit if I re-wrapped it in new Silver Sparkle wrap? I'd have to re-wrap the toms to match as well. I'm afraid taking the original wrap off would kill the value of the drums even with the little problem areas.
The extra holes have already devalued the kit as much as a rewrap would but the other issue would be that new silver sparkle wrap and older silver sparkle wrap probably aren't going to match that well so, unless you want to rewrap the whole set, you might not be happy with the results with one drum not really matching the rest. This might not be a problem if the vintage drums are nearly mint but typically there will be some fading or yellowing that brand new wrap won't exhibit.

I think I already mentioned in another thread on these that I'd probably retain the Tama bracket to hide all the holes and then use Ludwig parts for the rest. If the Tama has a 1" downtube that would work. Another thought would be to create a thin metal plate that covers that area and put it under the new mounting bracket. If done right the average person would just assume it's supposed to be there. Fourth option (including rewrap) would be to just fill the holes with dowels and then touch it up with sparkle glue or that fingernail polish you found. Depending on how well the new finish blends with the old that would be the easiest/cheapest route to take.

I rewrapped a Slingerland set in silver sparkle about 2 years ago. I got the drums already unwrapped (otherwise complete, all for $125) and then decided on silver sparkle. It's a great color for drums.
20190108_194341.jpg

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but I would fill the extra holes and rewrap that kit in new silver sparkle (or your finish of choice). Then get the edges recut, which is the one thing I wouldn't do myself, and go back to original Ludwig hardware.
As K.O. mentioned, the excess holes reduce their value, other than your sentimental value. But to make them look like when you played them in high school, with some brand-spanking new bearing edges & shiny silver sparkle finish.
I love mint condition vintage drums, don't get me wrong. But to bring an old set that needs some love back to life is more rewarding. I love to refinish the abused ones!
(Edit - I'd also look for some badges on here or ebay.)

cworrick

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but I would fill the extra holes and rewrap that kit in new silver sparkle (or your finish of choice). Then get the edges recut, which is the one thing I wouldn't do myself, and go back to original Ludwig hardware.
As K.O. mentioned, the excess holes reduce their value, other than your sentimental value. But to make them look like when you played them in high school, with some brand-spanking new bearing edges & shiny silver sparkle finish.
I love mint condition vintage drums, don't get me wrong. But to bring an old set that needs some love back to life is more rewarding. I love to refinish the abused ones!
(Edit - I'd also look for some badges on here or ebay.)
I've got "original" hardware - arrived yesterday.
Bearing edges are DEFINITELY getting taken care of. The more I get into the drums the more I see wrong with the edges. Nothing major, just little imperfections.
I think - very long tern - I may rewrap it.
Badges would be nice, but I think I'd feel like I was cheating since they wouldn't have serial numbers on them.

Main goal right now is to get it back to good playing condition. Cosmetics are secondary but obviously easier to do while all the hardware is off.

cworrick

Reaction score
Wel, polished up the BD. It's still "green" after polishing, especially ON TOP where everyone can see - naturally. Bottom cleaned up fairly well but nowhere near like the two mounted toms.

20200614_132116.jpg
20200614_132045.jpg

Now it's time to start working on the bearing edges....

cworrick

Reaction score
Bearing edges are leveled, trued, and re-cut.

They look 1000 times better than when I started.

I just finished sanding the 13.
O
M
G
!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HEADS BACK ON!!!

20200617_214417.jpg

cworrick

Reaction score
Unexpectedly nice day to sit outside and polish the chrome.

Before and after.
20200620_140107.jpg

Ludwig looks so much better
20200620_143448.jpg

YEAH BABY!!!!
20200620_145953.jpg

Last edited:

cworrick

Reaction score
Didn't want to bore everyone with sanding photos.

Although the Bass Drum still has some work to do on it, I've begun to reassemble the toms. You
can't tell from the outside, but I've been adding some felt inside the casings around the springs.
Since getting the bearing edges redone I've been itching to get heads on them. I spent some time at Sweetwater on Saturday checking out different heads I'd like to use on them. I checked Remo, Aquarian and Evans out. Hey, I'm not getting paid to endorse anything so I'm going to chose what I like to hear. With that being said, I think I'm going to go with the Evans UV2 on top, that way I get a sound I'd like and yet kind of keep that classic coated head look to it as well. For the bottom I'm thinking a simple G1 but I'm undecided as to clear, or go coated keeping with the look.

Bass Drum reao will be a solid smooth white head so I can stick a classic Ludwig sticker on it for the look. Either a Remo P3 or Evans EQ3. I'm a little torn on the batter....lots of choices and since it faces rear, I don't have to worry about looks. My go to is a clear Remo P3. However I'm intrigued by the Evans EQ4 Calftone heads but I didn't really like the Remo fiberskins.
I looked at the Aquarian heads but they really didn't float my boat.

20200630_214221.jpg

cworrick

Reaction score
Ugh!

God only knows what someone did to the bass drum here. Looks like a possible Dremel tool mess up. Too deep to really fix well. Non-clear heads will hide a lot of inside flaws.

20200701_130639.jpg

cworrick

Reaction score
This is weird.

The rims on the 13 and 16 look the same.
However they are NOTICEABLY different in weight.
I can attach a magnet to both.
The top and left one in the photo is the heavier rim.

20200708_140936.jpg

20200708_141119.jpg

20200708_141050.jpg

20200708_141045.jpg

Any thoughts?

Attachments

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow man. You’re killing it. Nice work.

Hope to see/hear a vid of how they sound when up and running!!!

thestorysold

Reaction score
I always enjoy watching restoration projects. yours is coming along nicely! I had a 68/69 set that was faded just like yours. I actually liked it more for that reason. I bought a champagne sparkle set that was spray painted black that I restored and intended on selling, but got attached to it. I was torn as to what one to keep, but ended up selling the silver sparkle set. couldn't justify keeping them both unfortunately.

Latest posts