Ludwig kits with all wooden hoops?

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Found some live Elton John pix from 1975, I have noticed Roger Pope played a dark brown Ludwig kit, but what stood out to me was the maple rims all around. Looks kind of neat IMHO.

Was it common for a Ludwig kit back then to have wooden hoops all around (besides the bass drum)? And that wrap, only thing I could think is Walnut Cortex, looking at a 1975 Ludwig catalog...

In terms of sound, did the wooden rims have any effect over metal ones?

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Found some live Elton John pix from 1975, I have noticed Roger Pope played a dark brown Ludwig kit, but what stood out to me was the maple rims all around. Looks kind of neat IMHO.

Was it common for a Ludwig kit back then to have wooden hoops all around (besides the bass drum)? And that wrap, only thing I could think is Walnut Cortex, looking at a 1975 Ludwig catalog...

Maybe a cortex, but I know for a fact you could get a clear mahogany finish, as one of the local shops had one on display back in the 70s. Funny, that's the only time I remember having seen that finish. I think the wood hoops must have been a special deal for Roger.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was in the market for kit back in 1987 I saw a used kit from what I remember it was 6ply b/o badges and black cortex. It had natural hoops on the bass drum and bottom wood hoops on the toms it was out of my price range and I ended up with my rockers. Always wished I could have gottent that kit.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
There were pictures of a couple of sets like that posted here (or on ebay) a couple years back. Apparently Ludwig would do that for someone as a special order...but it doesn't appear that a whole lot of people thought of getting drums like that. If I remember right one set was a mahogany and the other was red and white duco (with matching wood hoops...stunning). I think I saved the pics but unfortunately that computer is in the shop at the moment.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe Roger became a Ludwig endorser around the time he took over the drum seat from Nigel in '75... so the fact it would be a custom finish seems right. In '76 he got a White Cortex Hollywood kit (with granitone interiors), and used that one throughout his time in Hall and Oates... it's the one seen on the cover of "Live Time".

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Maybe a cortex, but I know for a fact you could get a clear mahogany finish, as one of the local shops had one on display back in the 70s. Funny, that's the only time I remember having seen that finish. I think the wood hoops must have been a special deal for Roger.
I think the color was known as Clear Mahogany Lacquer. BJ Wilson had a Ludwig set in the same finish, although it was more of a "redder" hue than Roger's... at least in this picture.

He later had the kit rewrapped in Red Cortex, except for the 18 inch FT, You can see the mahogany better in this pic:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
These are a couple of pics I saved off the internet over the years (probably from ebay). Wood hoop sets. That red one is pretty sharp.

hepkat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just watching The Last Waltz. Levon plays the wood-hooped Ludwigs on "The Weight" with the Staples Fam...

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These are a couple of pics I saved off the internet over the years (probably from ebay). Wood hoop sets. That red one is pretty sharp.
That one on the left looks exactly like Roger's, save for the color... Did the wooden rims have a difference in sound as opposed to regular metal ones?

mudjacker2

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Heres one on CL...maybe a little lighter, but looks like mahogany finish to me....

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/2880508872.html

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Found this on YT... Roger with Kiki Dee in 1974, playing the wooden hooped Mahogany Ludwigs. Has some good close-up shots of the drums.

&context=C4205d4aADvjVQa1PpcFNy-emAMQsRi_X0bOpQ8jSafe-L949mSng=

Last edited by a moderator:

vivapapajo

Reaction score
I saw Robert Plant's band this past summer and his drummer had wooden hoops on a Ludwig Kit and the drums sounded GREAT! Full, fat, warm and resonant.

Sue Pope

Reaction score

Roger had that kit specially made. It is maple and walnut. There were only two made - Levon Helm had the other one. I still have Roger's kit.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love Roger Pope's playing on the Elton John records and I was fascinated as a kid seeing both this wood hoop Mahogany Ludwig and the other kit he played with Hall & Oates with the triad concert toms on his left he later added to his setup. Great player with an amazing feel. He was THE guy in this musical circle.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Roger had that kit specially made. It is maple and walnut. There were only two made - Levon Helm had the other one. I still have Roger's kit.
Do you have any other information or insight into Roger's kit(s) or playing that you'd like to share?

Sue Pope

Reaction score
Do you have any other information or insight into Roger's kit(s) or playing that you'd like to share?
He always used 15" high hats. In some of the videos on youtube you will see that he also used to cut chunks out of his ride cymbals to get the sound he wanted. He didn't "read dots".....he played what he "felt" in his soul. He didn't like drum solos - he preferred "fills" to show his expertise.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw that same kit was up for auction a year or so back, looking a little rough. Did it ever sell?