Ludwig kits with all wooden hoops?

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Roger Pope's playing on the Elton John records and I was fascinated as a kid seeing both this wood hoop Mahogany Ludwig and the other kit he played with Hall & Oates with the triad concert toms on his left he later added to his setup. Great player with an amazing feel. He was THE guy in this musical circle.
Also the identical white Cortex Ludwig (with Granitone interiors) kit he had when he first joined Hall and Oates, and recorded "Livetime" with. Then replaced with the aforementioned kit in 1978.

That same kit he got while with Elton to record the "Blue Moves" album and subsequent "Louder Than Concorde" tour in 1976. That came after the mahogany kit.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He always used 15" high hats. In some of the videos on youtube you will see that he also used to cut chunks out of his ride cymbals to get the sound he wanted. He didn't "read dots".....he played what he "felt" in his soul. He didn't like drum solos - he preferred "fills" to show his expertise.
He first got the kit with Kiki Dee I see, and it was originally a 2-up 2-down setup.

Yes, I see that "custom made" ride you refer to, above the 14 inch tom. It had quite a distinctive tone to it...

Your husband was one of the many underrated greats, and he is still missed.

Sue Pope

Reaction score
He first got the kit with Kiki Dee I see, and it was originally a 2-up 2-down setup.

Yes, I see that "custom made" ride you refer to, above the 14 inch tom. It had quite a distinctive tone to it...

Your husband was one of the many underrated greats, and he is still missed.
He already had the kit. He got it when he was in the band Hookfoot before he joined the Kiki Dee Band.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He already had the kit. He got it when he was in the band Hookfoot before he joined the Kiki Dee Band.
Well I stand corrected then.

I remember him using a Sky Blue Pearl 1-up 1-down Ludwig set during the Hookfoot days the most.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Roger Pope's playing on the Elton John records and I was fascinated as a kid seeing both this wood hoop Mahogany Ludwig and the other kit he played with Hall & Oates with the triad concert toms on his left he later added to his setup. Great player with an amazing feel. He was THE guy in this musical circle.
He and Kenny Passarelli were a good rhythm section.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I think the color was known as Clear Mahogany Lacquer. BJ Wilson had a Ludwig set in the same finish, although it was more of a "redder" hue than Roger's... at least in this picture.
I don't know about back when BJ Wilson got his kit, but when I got my Ludwig kit I noticed the Mahogany stain was just a darker version of the Cherry stain I ended up having my drums finished in...

LudwigKit01.jpg

...that could explain the reddish hue of Wilson's kit.

Elvis

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
In 1975, I went to my very first concert ever, Elton John at Dodger Stadium. Roger was the drummer that day! :)
6EC1B6BE-BA39-4647-8A60-07CC6FA1FB21.jpeg

4C92ED80-A8C0-40AC-8598-2929A7F42AB4.jpeg

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
He always used 15" high hats. In some of the videos on youtube you will see that he also used to cut chunks out of his ride cymbals to get the sound he wanted. He didn't "read dots".....he played what he "felt" in his soul. He didn't like drum solos - he preferred "fills" to show his expertise.
Thank you so much for sharing your insights! Much appreciated. Mr Pope was a great drummer with great feel, and will continue to be heard for many years to come!

Latest posts