LUDWIG LEGACY "RINGO" SHELL PACK for US $1,749.00

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/LUDWIG-LEGACY-SHELL-RINGO-SHELL-PACK-/300462650648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f4f83518

Ludwig Von Buzztoven

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's being sold at the Fred Pierce Drum Studio. The wrap on it is indeed beautiful. And the kit is kind of special in one way: the 12 has large Classic lugs, and apparently is the only Legacy tom smaller than 13 that Ludwig made. Fred had to fight them tooth and nail for it. Why he wanted it that way, I have no idea.

The kit has been in the store for a long time. The last time I was in the store, maybe 2 weeks ago, the guys in the store were surprised that it hadn't sold at that price.

Buzz

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah, for a 12" to be "Ringo correct" it should have the "mini" lugs on it. Still a beautiful kit there.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that giant metal tom holder takes away the vintage vibe.

cdlaine

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow....that wrap looks amazing. Well done Ludwig. That is a drumset

I would be proud to own. The shot of the BD from above would sell me...

seems like a very good price, am I missing something ?

Peace, Chas

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely an incredible price. Ask RickP -- he has a set of these. I have them too, just not Ringo finish. GREAT GREAT GREAT drums and you can't go wrong for that price. It's a good thing I didn't see these before I ordered mine or I might have settled for that ugly BOP nonsense. ;)

H

hindadoon

Nice looking set but in my opinion the" Legacy" series are severely overpriced. I guess the demand states the price, but I would just assume find a 60's set in excellent condition for half the price............. INCOMING!!!!

AVL

Reaction score
Nice looking set but in my opinion the" Legacy" series are severely overpriced. I guess the demand states the price, but I would just assume find a 60's set in excellent condition for half the price............. INCOMING!!!!
Agreed. And I just don't understand why Ludwig can't just do it right. Proper lugs on the 12", proper arch spurs. The wrap looks great! They're sooooo close to having these perfect, but yet they hold back.
And I get it that they probably don't want to replicate the originals 100%, but if the people ask for it (which everyone seems to request), then do it!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. And I just don't understand why Ludwig can't just do it right. Proper lugs on the 12", proper arch spurs. The wrap looks great! They're sooooo close to having these perfect, but yet they hold back.
And I get it that they probably don't want to replicate the originals 100%, but if the people ask for it (which everyone seems to request), then do it!
Sorry guys, I don't see how you can say that -- this is a brand new kit. A 60s kit in brand new condition would fetch this much or more, and wouldn't have the solid hardware they are using now.

Proper lugs on the 12" and curved spurs are ordering issues -- I got my 12" Legacy with minis on it, so blame the shop rather than Ludwig. You can pick whatever spurs and lugs you want and they do offer both of those. So what are they holding back on then?

AVL

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I don't see how you can say that -- this is a brand new kit. A 60s kit in brand new condition would fetch this much or more, and wouldn't have the solid hardware they are using now.

Proper lugs on the 12" and curved spurs are ordering issues -- I got my 12" Legacy with minis on it, so blame the shop rather than Ludwig. You can pick whatever spurs and lugs you want and they do offer both of those. So what are they holding back on then?
I think he meant you could buy MOST 60's kits for half the price, not a BOP. And while I agree on the "new" value of it, I was basing my opinion on owning a nice original 60's kit with "THAT" tone, rather than a new one. No offense to the new kits, of course. They just aren't for me.

As for the ordering issues, I was unaware that you could order the kits to spec to an Original 60's one to a T, so my bad. I will say that I HAVE seen factory issued/built Ludwig kits like this that come out with weird hardware choices (that were not ordered, but built by Ludwig people themselves). I won't say that they are "incorrect" per se, as it's truly up to the owner of a kit....but nonetheless, I just don't care for those spurs and larger lugs on THAT kit.....again, just my opinion....

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
You can't get arched spurs on anything under a 22.
They really got the wrap right on those. The new rail mount system really works. I was kind of leery of it when I ordered my Epic X-Over kit, but I was proven wrong. Very sturdy, very user friendly, and cool looking to boot. If I ever order a Legacy or a Classic Maple kit, I'll probably get the rail mount.

H

hindadoon

I guess I should also clarify my statement. In no way was I trying to say the new kits aren't worth the asking price , I just meant that I personally would put my money into a vintage set. I also was not referring to this specific set. I meant the price tag on a new Legacy set is mighty steep. I'm sure they sound great and I'm sure they are worth the price tag........ I'm a Ludwig guy with Slingerland tendencies.....

gingerb91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't see what the issues with large lugs on the 12" really is... I have a Ludwig tom from 71 w/ the clear interior that sports Large lugs. Drum works fine, and it matches the rest of them. I would think that people would prefer it, as opposed to the quirkiness of having toms with different lugs.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I'm thinking that $1749 for that kit is not all that particularly steep when a Gretsch USA Custom Bop kit typically goes for well over three K. I asked about the cost of the Legacies when I was at the factory, and Steve Cotton told me that they're more labor intensive. Leave the re-rings out and they would be less expensive than Maple Classics, he said.