Ludwig legs

Drummer50

Reaction score
1965 Ludwig base drum leg.

Is the leg the for 20 inch and 22 inch the same length ?

Or Is the 20 inch shorter?
Thanks

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
We talking about clamp on the outside legs?

Idk about the vintage parts, but the modern equivalent (Club Date) uses one length for 18/20 and another for 22/24. The 18/20 spur is 10.5” and the 22/24 is 8.5”. The 10.5” work much better on the 24” drum IMO, so I’m not sure why Ludwig made 2 lengths.

Drummer50

Reaction score
We talking about clamp on the outside legs?

Idk about the vintage parts, but the modern equivalent (Club Date) uses one length for 18/20 and another for 22/24. The 18/20 spur is 10.5” and the 22/24 is 8.5”. The 10.5” work much better on the 24” drum IMO, so I’m not sure why Ludwig made 2 lengths.

When i hit the pedal, the bass drum wants to rotate around the bass tom. looking down from above the drums.

Legs stick out to the side real far, or they hold the front of the drum off the floor .

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Do you mean the fold out spurs?

Bass drums have spurs, floor toms have legs.

There was just one size made in the 60s. They adjusted the positioning of the brackets for different sized bass drums.
spurs.jpg

At the time spurs were intended more to prevent the bass drum from rolling over than from creeping forward. They also were not really intended to lift the front of the bass drum off the floor which wasn't really a thing at the time.

Generally the fold out spurs can be problematic but will do the job. Getting them in the right position can be a chore but usually there is a spot where they will work (assuming that the brackets were positioned correctly by the factory).

If you have the disappearing spurs the same caveats apply but there isn't much to adjust other than the length you pull out of the drum.

Either design benefits from the use of a bass drum anchor on the front hoop and there was a reason that these were a popular accessory back in the day.

Gibraltar Bass Drum Anchor | Guitar Center

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First we had Ludwig butt's now Ludwig legs.

What's next?

I won't answer that and I know, I need to shut up so shutting up now.

:p