Ludwig & Ludwig - what do I have?

Mers

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm new to DFO but several of you know me from Cymbalholic.

I've joined to ask all of you for some help. I own an old Ludwig snare drum and I'd love to know exactly what it is, as persuing old catalogues has given me a bit of an idea, but not an exact pinpoint match.

It's a 10 lug, Ludwig & Ludwig 4x14 snare drum with gold plated hardware in a black lacquer finish that has seen better days. I suspect that the triple flange hoops are not original - everything I've ever seen with a Ludwig and Ludwig badge had single flanged hoops - but other than that the drum looks like it's legit. Can't really tell if it's a one piece shell, or something like a 3 ply. Perhaps some of you may know better.

I've attached a few pictures for visual aid.

Honestly I'm just trying to figure out what this is or isn't, and yes at some point know what it's worth, but mainly I'd like the info.

Thanks for the attention!

Attachments

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's a 1920s-30s Ludwig 4 x 14 black lacquer or enamel Dance Model. If everything is gold plated then the original single flange rims were probably gold plated also...or...the original finish was nickel plating and rims were swapped out and the remaining hardware plus the triple flanged rims were after-market gold plated. It's most likely a solid maple shell. In original condition with the original factory gold plating I'd say 1000 +/- but I think that lacquer shells were not outfitted with gold plating unless of course if it was a special order. I would make sure that we are talking about gold plating and not buffed to brass which would lower the value a tad. The drum as you have it now is set up to be a good player drum as (IMHO) those tf rims make the drum sound way better than the original single flanged rims.

Hope this helps.

Mike Curotto

Mers

Reaction score
Hi Mike, thanks for the answer!

The finish on the lugs looks original to me, it's hard to tell on these pics but the lugs do look different from the hoops - they don't look as they've been plated at the same time. Could be polished brass (not sure how I'd tell them apart, I'll look more closely when I get home) but they do look like they have 70+ yr old patina to me.

From what I know, 10 lugs was an option too, so it could be that the original owner ordered gold plating on a lacquered snare. Still, it does sound phenomenal and I'm sure the TF hoops help much in that regard.

Thanks a lot, once again!

Mers

Reaction score
Mike, one more question - I've seen some of these online and they have mahogany shells. Mine does look like maple. Were both woods optional?

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice to see you here, Mers.

And what a beautiful drum! Do you play it a lot?

Mers

Reaction score
I don't play it at all, sadly. My playing in general is usually a few hours every other weekend. One of the reasons I'm asking is I'll probably get rid of all my surplus gear sometime next year. No rush, and these old things are nearly impossible to sell here in Brazil, but while that doesn't happen I will enjoy what I can of it all.

I'm thinking I'm going to redo the black lacquer with a luthier friend of mine, as the way it looks now has mojo but isn't all that sexy. I'd love to see this drum looking as sharp as it can, again.