Ludwig Mach 4 Bronze Silk Stamped August 7, 1970 $1199

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Up for sale is a rare Ludwig Mach 4 in Bronze Silk. Shells are date stamped Aug 7, 1970. I believe this model was not cataloged right away but only listed by flyer. The combination of model and color make this set very rare. Sizes are in Super Classic style of 22/13/16 with Mach lugs. The Bronze Silk is gorgeous and these pictures do not give it justice. Badges are pointed blue/olive 797xxx, 797xxx, and 802xxx.These are 3 ply Mahogany/Poplar/Maple with clear interior shells with rerings and internal mufflers. As for roundness and bearing edge, these shells are in excellent condition. Signs or wear include a repaired crack in the bass drum hoop reso hoop (wood glue), mild wrap rash, chrome pitting, episodic rust, and normal wear. Keep in mind, most hardware pieces are very good or should clean up nicely. New bass drum spurs have been professionally installed so little impact exists on the shell. The set will ship with the Ludwig retractable originals as well. Other than some new tension rods, the set appears to be factory original. All new Remo heads have been installed recently.

CONUS only. Sorry no trades. Paypal. Also available through Reverb. Thanks for looking/commenting!

$1250 plus shipping

Attachments

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s hard to tell from the pictures but the finish looks almost layered like a clear coat over textured bronze. For me, the real sleeper value to the set are the quality shells. Ive owned a lot of vintage Ludwig shells and I have never seen such nice edges or more round shells. The owner didn’t use it much and when he did used a stand for the ride tom. My guess is the Mach lugs helped keep these tubs true.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
They hark back to an innocent time - we saw that finish and the mach sets but could only dream what they'd look like together. 1970 indeed.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Almost had a European styling vibe trying to generate; a Premier with the lug Sonor with the silks; could have been called the "Aristocrat" like heh heh, Ludwig was too working-class for that but this line hinted at a sophisticated 'angle /direction
the 1970 flyer linked above is a 3 page err flyer.
(everybody had it back then)
Anyone know who that drummer is on the cover?
Joe Burda? (the name plate option? option. 'how sophisticate ; ) Personalized options.
Could have offered a pen set, hankie, tie clip and umbrella! (lol

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's amazing too.... O I see. The rail couldn't go anywhere else! Good spot still@

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what would it add to the cost to have Ludwig spurs added back?
I’ll just include them free with the purchase and let the next owner decide which they prefer. Many will likely enjoy the functionality of the updated spurs while the purist will appreciate having the originals. Does that seem fair?

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"look better with the original spurs..."

runs sry
Thanks, that’s a really good point I never thought about. Maybe I’ll try again on the weekend. I can say I’m typically thorough to a fault when preparing for any ad and I messed this one up from the beginning. Its a reminder patience and timing are everything. If they don’t sell by July I may just keep them or try again with the fall colors.

For now, I hope the imagination will prevail.

Reactions: JDA