Ludwig Mach 4 Bronze Silk Stamped August 7, 1970 $1199

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How has a Ludwig collector not bought this??
I can’t believe it either. I think it’s the only bronze silk for sale in the universe. It’s easier to buy a Mod set. I can see if the condition was poor but this rare set has exceptional shells and I think an attractive look. It’s even priced lower than some Super Classics our there. Believe me I wouldn’t even consider selling it if I was playing bigger sizes for bigger venues still. Perhaps it’s too rare. Current price ends 7/5.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you haven't already, put it on the facebook Ludwig collectors page. Maybe the aftermarket spurs are putting someone off, but to me, that's pretty minor on a rare set like this.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already, put it on the facebook Ludwig collectors page. Maybe the aftermarket spurs are putting someone off, but to me, that's pretty minor on a rare set like this.
Thanks again Rich. I’m with you on the spurs too. At least they are an improvement on functionality. I rather see that change than a rail consolette alteration. Unfortunately/fortunately I’m not on FB but perhaps it’s time to surrender to it. As always, solid suggestion though.

Vintagedrumbug

Reaction score
What a great set! I remember seen one of these many years ago and like a fool didn't pay much attention. Same happened to me with an eagle 75th anniversary set, a super rare Keystone badge aluminum set that predated the stainless steel set and a Thermogloss WFL set! I know. You cannot fix a fool like myself...

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$1250 plus shipping during Reverb Sale.

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are there extra holes?
Yes of course. I have it all detailed by photos on Reverb & eBay. Reportedly, they were done at a shop so they minimized impact by using some existing holes while maintaining shell strength integrity with good placement. As noted above, for functionality sake and to limit impact I’d rather see updated spurs over people drilling in a new center mount.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mach Lugs aren't very popular with collectors either.
Not sure about that. I believe they were uncommon in the early 70s yet a mainstay for many brands in the 80s and into the 90s. I believe the rareness of model and color will be more appreciated in the future.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think these are awesome, Mach lugs are cool, the finish is about as rare as they come. The Spurs should have never been changed, but for someone looking for a rare and awesome players kit, the price on these is pretty damn close

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think these are awesome, Mach lugs are cool, the finish is about as rare as they come. The Spurs should have never been changed, but for someone looking for a rare and awesome players kit, the price on these is pretty damn close
Thanks!

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure about that. I believe they were uncommon in the early 70s yet a mainstay for many brands in the 80s and into the 90s. I believe the rareness of model and color will be more appreciated in the future.
I'm not saying your drums are not rare or interesting- but Mach Lug drums are not popular with Ludwig collectors. If your set had regular classic lugs it would have sold the first day.

Rare does not always mean valuable.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Truly, this is a badass drum set. The finish is killer and it's in superb condition. Close serials and matching date stamps, beautiful interiors and a rail. There's barely any more you could ask for.

However... if you're interested, I'll give you my insight and why I wouldn't buy it if I were in the market. I think the combination of mach lugs and modern spurs is the problem. Knowing full well Ludwig was producing mach lugs in the early '70s, I still associate those lugs with '80s power toms and the downfall of classic American drums. That perception coupled with modern spurs really takes away some of the magic of this kit. I'm not entirely opposed to mach lugs, but with those spurs it's a bridge too far. For those reasons, when I look at this kit 1970 is about the furthest thing from my mind. To that end, a white reso head (if you've got one laying around) also lends to the '70s vibe, in my mind.

I think if you re-listed it on Reverb with the original 5/16 spurs and reworked the ad to imply you've returned it to its original state by removing the modern spurs people would view it more favorably.

It's a bummer when it's a matter of taste dictating the slow sale of a great kit, but I do hope you make a sale soon. It really is an awesome kit and even with the extra holes the price is fair. Good luck, John!

Latest posts