Ludwig Mach 4 Bronze Silk Stamped August 7, 1970 $1199

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Truly, this is a badass drum set. The finish is killer and it's in superb condition. Close serials and matching date stamps, beautiful interiors and a rail. There's barely any more you could ask for.

However... if you're interested, I'll give you my insight and why I wouldn't buy it if I were in the market. I think the combination of mach lugs and modern spurs is the problem. Knowing full well Ludwig was producing mach lugs in the early '70s, I still associate those lugs with '80s power toms and the downfall of classic American drums. That perception coupled with modern spurs really takes away some of the magic of this kit. I'm not entirely opposed to mach lugs, but with those spurs it's a bridge too far. For those reasons, when I look at this kit 1970 is about the furthest thing from my mind. To that end, a white reso head (if you've got one laying around) also lends to the '70s vibe, in my mind.

I think if you re-listed it on Reverb with the original 5/16 spurs and reworked the ad to imply you've returned it to its original state by removing the modern spurs people would view it more favorably.

It's a bummer when it's a matter of taste dictating the slow sale of a great kit, but I do hope you make a sale soon. It really is an awesome kit and even with the extra holes the price is fair. Good luck, John!
Thanks for taking the time to support and provide feedback. I think you’re right about how presenting the set in a different way will help. My gut tells me that fall is a better time to sell this anyway. For one last effort and to avoid some work I lowered it to $1199 plus shipping on Reverb for now. We’ll see what happens. Thanks again!

lcondo123

Reaction score
I definitely recommend getting a smooth white head on the reso of the bass with the old-school Ludwig decal, as well as swapping out the spurs with the originals. I was selling a mid 80's Corder kit a while back and my first time round listing it had zero bites. I changed out the heads for cleaner heads, and changed the black bass reso head for a white one (I also sold the two smaller toms separately). Night-and-day response with people being interested. I highly recommend giving it a shot, as that is one incredible kit you have.

Luke

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I definitely recommend getting a smooth white head on the reso of the bass with the old-school Ludwig decal, as well as swapping out the spurs with the originals. I was selling a mid 80's Corder kit a while back and my first time round listing it had zero bites. I changed out the heads for cleaner heads, and changed the black bass reso head for a white one (I also sold the two smaller toms separately). Night-and-day response with people being interested. I highly recommend giving it a shot, as that is one incredible kit you have.

Luke

Excellent suggestion! I think I have a weather master Ludwig reso head too. Thanks!