Ludwig Memory Collars a tight fit ?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Ludwig Classic Maple kit earlier this year . It came with memory collars for the floor Tom legs and bass drum spurs. The issue ai am having is that they are a very tight fit . To the point of being a struggle just to get them on floor Tom legs and bass drum legs . Any suggestions on getting these to fit easier ?
808C25E1-ECEB-4BBD-BFDE-D267DE2EEFE2.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
it could be; I bet ya Gretsch are tighter
can't move mine on the tom holder unless 1) tantric mind movement and gentle warming with the hand
2) a screwdriver to spread them open simultaneously the other hand turning and adjusting the memriloc finally being careful not to let the screwdriver slide right across the bass drum's unmarred lacquer finish.
Other than that no problem but same problem.

old Tama does it better
maybe because they (seemed to be) softer aluminum instead of steel don't know.
but you could move those all day long just breathing on them)

Those look just like the Gretsch 12.7 ones Rick.

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
2) a screwdriver to spread them open simultaneously the other hand turning and adjusting the memriloc finally being careful not to let the screwdriver slide right across the bass drum's unmarred lacquer finish.
That's what I always have to do with new Ludwig 9.5mm locks - take a wide flathead screwdriver and pry it open a little while simultaneously sliding it onto the floor tom leg. The good news is that once you open it enough to slide on, you'll never have to pry it open again.

20210517_101640.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good news is that once you open it enough to slide on, you'll never have to pry it open again.
I've never tried that..
maybe it will work with Rick's Ludwig ones.
always afraid or don't think they would "stay" spread or would snap/crack. But someday may do that.)
I know one thing a nuclear explosion wouldn't budge the tom position)
Try it, Rick.

drummerfish

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
ditto. i've been selling the 9 mil and 10 mil for years and about half of them have been a bit tight.

i worked at a music store and a few other brands has the same issue while others didn't. seems its just how their made.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every last Yamaha memory clamp, regardless of size, I've bought over the decades has been a perfect fit except the few that have been purchased after 2014. I'm 100% HexRack since they debuted. All 7/8-inch friendly. Nothing else comes close. Their first generation tom holders with the hex-sphere are the bomb. Got over fifty of them. I've bought about a dozen Yamaha memory clamps and about four were dogs, three were the smallest sizes. Nothing a screwdriver couldn't cure. Every aluminum Tama memory clamp ever purchased was a perfect fit right out of the bag. I just got a dozen more of the 10.5mm from a vendor in Japan for the Gibralter tom holders I use for their 7/8-inch down tubes that mate to the 7/8 Yamaha rack. I just swap my Atomic 1st Gen Imperialstars, vintage Slingerlands, Pearls, Ludwigs, etc. with whatever is on the HexRack system. All my drum brands are exact-sized. Easy-peasy. 1/2-inch wide screwdriver to the rescue on those memory clamps!

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have those on my Ludwig tom holder L-arms and also need to use a large screwdriver to move them. A real PITA to get into the right positions, but once I do I tend not to dick-around with my setup. :thumbup:

mandrum

Reaction score
Seems to be a common problem. The screwdriver method is what works. On my FT legs a couple of them have inconsistant diameters and the memory locks slide smooth to a certain point then get bogged down.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another trick I use to spread the clamp a skosh: remove the drum key screw and thread it into the other (tapped) side of the clamp; then take a thick steel washer (like for a 3/8" bolt), place it in the opening of the clamp such that the end of the drum key screw bears on it instead of going into the clearance hole on the other side of the clamp. One half turn of your key should be enough to force the clamp open enough .... keep testing! You don't want to spread the clamp any more than needed. This works especially well on knurled steel rods like tom mount L-arms and floor tom legs ( the knurl makes the rod appreciably larger in diameter than the nominal size). If you place the washer carefully, you can install the clamp while it is spread open - then just remove the drum key screw and return it to the normal configuration.

This trick can be used (very carefully!) to permanently spread the clamp a bit, but be careful of brittle materials (both aluminum and steel) which can fail suddenly when they reach their elastic limit.

This avoids the hazard posed by the awkward use of a screwdriver to pry the clamp open; just at the moment the clamp starts to loosen, it will try to rotate ..... causing the unwary to lose control of the pry bar right next to your drum finish ........ aaaargh! ........ unless you are blessed with three hands ....... !

Mike

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
never had memory locs on ft legs; hope I never do.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
try never to be in that much of a hurry but yea
I remember when I used to set up twin floors
it was fun
i'm afraid they fit them to every 2021 floor tom like it's a badge of quality
like every new car has lane assist

but i do recall lining up twin floors in the 70s and it was different every time..

Last edited:

telejojo

Reaction score
I ordered the DW for my Ludwig floor toms and they are too big I will have to cut some 3/8 fuel tubing to make them work.