Ludwig Micro-Bop Bass Drum

bharrington

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love this - and those tymp toms are pretty useless anyway! Nice job.

I really appreciate the sanded down white interior by the rerings, it really does look more original that way.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I built a kit using 14X16 Ludwig timp tom and sold it. Now I am building a 12X15 Ludwig marcher into a BD. Single tension beat up old repainted shell with peeling paint. Gonna leave it "as is" for the rat rod look.

Attachments

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
That looks super vintage and cool! I never find these kind of drums on this side of the pond. Mucho jealous!
And I got this for free from an old guitar player friend. Still needs one tension rod and claw. Got some great clamp on spurs with matching patina too.

felis

Reaction score
Very nice job.

While both inlays look good, I've got to admit I like the gold better.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I love the drum and the gold inlay matching the snare! Silver looks good, too. What a sweet little kit! And I dig the label!

For the right venues I love my 16 Gretsch bass. But I did a gig last Friday with a beater 10x14 Slingy 70's tom that I've turned (ok, butchered!) into a micro bass by adding a snare stand, legs, riser and cymbal stand. I had hats and a vintage Gretsch snare off DFO and a flat ride and had an acoustic rock out! And it sounded great behind 3 acoustic and a clean electric! Although I felt like I was riding a tricycle! And it sucks that I forgot my carpet thinking we were playing IN the museum, not outside it! But the loading was super easy! Gotta love small basses!

(PS: the ride is supposed to look that way - Old School patina 18" flat ride - it's a little too much IMO)

View attachment 412947 View attachment 412948
Being a Ludwig dude, I'd call that a Gold Coast. Not sure if Gretsch did anything like that.
I think Rogers had something similar. Was it a Parklane?....I can't remember anymore.
Anyway, nice mod to those drums. I like it. =)

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Oh wow, that's great!

I converted a vintage Pearl 15" tom into a micro bop bass for acoustic gigs (pictured) but I'd love an original field or tenor drum with the wood hoops.

View attachment 437160
This is a cool rig, too!
Man, you guys have got some ingenuity goin' on!
So what sizes am I looking at here?
I get the 15" bass, but the others are 10/13 with an Acrolite?
Nice looking rig, too. Looks like it came that way from Pearl. =)

Elvis