Ludwig Mid 70's Psychedelic Red Bass Drum - 24 by 14

stokesbros

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

Craig here - it's been a while since I've posted. Looking forward to getting back to the forum.

I've recently acquired a mid 70's psychedelic red bass drum - 24 inch (which may make it a little more rare?).

It's pretty clean overall - I haven't cleaned it yet.

Strong colors, clear interior, blue/olive badge with NO serial number, minimal pitting on the lugs.

Can you guys check it out and let me know your thoughts. Also, are there specific members who need one of these to complete a set, or who collect this particular era finish.

Thanks for any light you can shed - I'm attaching a bunch of pictures.

Attachments

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, those edges and shell interior are CLEAN!

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is a very clean/vibrant drum and quite a rare bird. I'm certain a fellow forummite would love to aquire it if given the opportunity.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
It’s the later run of the finish, I’m thinking right before granitone interiors showed up. I’ve seen this on 6 ply drums. Rare, but not as desirable as the late 60’s, early 70’s style wrap.

kallen49

Reaction score
Yup the sound of that will define “bass drum” when you get it tuned up...coated ambassadors?
No serial number...adds to the mojo...

Myk

Reaction score
I think that would be earlier than mid 70's without numbers 70-71 probably, any date or paper tags inside?
Nice drum

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Probably "just prior to granitone" era. The absence of serial is not necessarily indicative of it being early B/O badge time. BTW I once had a 5 piece with a 22" bass of the exact same color, and they also did not have serials on the badges!

Beautiful drum! I wish I had a few other toms to round out a set with that finish!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think that would be earlier than mid 70's without numbers 70-71 probably, any date or paper tags inside?
Nice drum
This is the second version of psych red which came out in '74 or '75. You rarely see this version... most of the drums I've seen in this finish were add ons, usually ordered from someone who had the original version. I've seen deep toms and concert tomss in this wrap but only one complete set.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is the second version of psych red which came out in '74 or '75. You rarely see this version... most of the drums I've seen in this finish were add ons, usually ordered from someone who had the original version. I've seen deep toms and concert tomss in this wrap but only one complete set.
The only other time I saw this color was when I bought a used Hollywood set from someone, in missouri. The thing about the no serials is that doesn't indicate earlier at all although the person I got them from told me it was a Ludwig product rep who sold them to him and it may have been a prototype set that was at a NAMM show or something. So, yea, this is later clear maple interior era.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drugans had an Octoplus in this finish about 2 years ago. Sold for very little- I debated it but just did not have the real estate to store it let alone set it up. In hindsight- I kick myself for not getting it.

stokesbros

Reaction score
Probably "just prior to granitone" era. The absence of serial is not necessarily indicative of it being early B/O badge time. BTW I once had a 5 piece with a 22" bass of the exact same color, and they also did not have serials on the badges!

Beautiful drum! I wish I had a few other toms to round out a set with that finish!
So maybe 1975 to 1976 on the age perhaps ?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
So maybe 1975 to 1976 on the age perhaps ?

I would say yes on this. I have seen a decent amount of singles over the years in this version of the finish. For some reason the greens don't seem to fade from this version either. I have a picture somewhere of a rounded corner, rivet seam, 6-ply shell in this finish. This drum looks great and I'm sure it will clean up very nicely.

Latest posts