Ludwig/N&C

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unbelievably cool.
However, N&C stopped using diecast hoops not only due to cost ... it was a sound choice. The snares opened up considerably better without those diecast hoops.
Interesting choice that Ludwig made to include them on this one.

TheMattJones88

Reaction score
Unbelievably cool.
However, N&C stopped using diecast hoops not only due to cost ... it was a sound choice. The snares opened up considerably better without those diecast hoops.
Interesting choice that Ludwig made to include them on this one.
When I went to Noble and Cooley to have some work done I mentioned that I changed out the hoops on my snare from Die Cast to triple flange and their response was: "It sounds way better, right?"

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I have no complaint about the die-cast on my N&C SSClassic, it rings like a bell.
I will try triple flange next head change, if N&C find it better, why not?
And now, I'm thinking 3 flange on my CD Maples, when I got them, it took me a while to get into die-cast on my toms, I'd like to hear the difference.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Also ... consider wood hoops on those if you can. Not the thick Yamaha looking ones, but the thinner marching type. They sound phenomenal on N&C drums ... and others, too.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That snare sounds great in the higher tuning range and Golden Slumbers is one of my favorite Ludwig finishes. My one beef is that Ludwig continues to use the same size tube lugs on their 6.5x14 snares as they do on their 5x14 shells. Those shorter lugs just seem out of place on a larger drum, but in the grand scheme of things this is pretty minor.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think they made 10 in total. There are 6 left according to the DCP website - and frankly it's only a couple hundred more then a norma N&C Tulip snare - $1200 isn't bad for a limited edition instrument of that quality.

Jeff

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Showing 4 left in stock currently....

I'll preface this by stating that it's no secret I'm a Ludwig guy, but..... $250 more for the Ludwig version... why?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I have no complaint about the die-cast on my N&C SSClassic, it rings like a bell.
I will try triple flange next head change, if N&C find it better, why not?
And now, I'm thinking 3 flange on my CD Maples, when I got them, it took me a while to get into die-cast on my toms, I'd like to hear the difference.
When Stewart Copeland and Tama were planning out his signature Tama snare drum, one thing he brought up was different hoops on different ends.
Die Cast on top and trip flange on the bottom.
Concentrates the sound on top, but lets the bottom head open up.
I've never tried one, but I've heard it has a rather unique sound and owners have found that the hoops are part of the reason why.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t get it. Why not just buy a Noble & Cooley SS Classic in Tulip? It is certainly a much prettier snare than this collaboration.

N&C single point lug design and placement is proprietary as far as I know and not just for looks but for the sound it achieves. That was thrown right out the window and for tube lugs no less. I have always disliked the look of standard tube lugs on a snare.

I would buy the original.

DBD0059F-9C70-42A1-92BD-0A216448E44C.jpeg

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Only 10 made, it's a collector thing.
A comparison, Ludwig/N&C and N&C would be good. What were Ludwig's differences besides the lugs?

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
When Stewart Copeland and Tama were planning out his signature Tama snare drum, one thing he brought up was different hoops on different ends.
Die Cast on top and trip flange on the bottom.
Concentrates the sound on top, but lets the bottom head open up.
I've never tried one, but I've heard it has a rather unique sound and owners have found that the hoops are part of the reason why.
HMMM, more experimenting to do.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"solid ply" with re-rings. Correct? I must have missed the semantic argument on here about this. LOL - I assume someone was saying it's not "single ply" because the rings aren't machined from the piece of wood the drum is made from?