Ludwig natural finish 1970-1975 questions

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Greetings,

Most of us know that John B., Carmine A., and Ringo S. all had Ludwig drums in natural maple in the late 60's. This finish was never listed by Ludwig.

My questions is: Did Ludwig offer this in the early 70's as well? All I ever see are maple cortex drums.

Slingerland DID offer this finish in the 70's. I have seen quite a few of these kits in the past but NOT Ludwigs.

Thanks,

Jdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've lusted after Nick's set with that 26" for years. I don't think I've seen any set ever posted on this forum I want more badly! :tongue9:

You don't see as many 70's 3-ply natural as you do the later 6-ply but they are out there. I've got a natural Keystone badge set from 1968 and also a set from 71. Here is a lousy shot of my 71's 13,16,18,24. They have the dated paper tags, sometimes seen in the early 70's, still in the shells.
View attachment 25380

R

RickP

Those to me are grail sets.I am a huge fan of natural maple gloss lacquer,My first professional kit was a Gretsch in Natural maple gloss lacquer.I have a real fondness for this finish.I currently only have one kit in this finish ( a Wells Custom drums kit which I love). I would love to find a 3 ply clear interior Ludwig kit in clear maple.My favorite of Ringo's kits was the maple kit.
( I know that his had white interiors).

Great looking kits guys.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It seems that you could get them during that time frame if you wanted them badly enough to make your dealer delve into it, but Ludwig looks to have tried to avoid making very many by keeping the availability of these finishes really low key (as in nearly invisible). The "wood" cortex finishes were obviously much easier to produce and so it seems that Ludwig pushed those to the forefront so that most anyone wanting a "wood" finish set would likely assume those wraps were their only option. Gretsch on the other hand seemed to really feature lacquer type finishes by the mid-to-late 70's and when those started to catch on Ludwig also began to give those finishes a higher profile in their 1980 and later catalogs...which was well into the 6 ply era.

katfish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own 2 sets of natural maple 3 ply Luddies. Nah... they're not the "real deal." They're orphans that I re-wrapped in real maple veneer a few years back. Now, I'm thinking of re-wrapping the 10-12-15-22 in green sparkle? I gotta have a green sparkle kit! :D

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
I had a 22", 13 16" I couldn't give away! I listed it here too!
The 22 was from 69 with a Keystone, the 13" a 1970 B/O (no serial) and the floor tom a 1979 6 ply.

Jdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K.O. said:
It seems that you could get them during that time frame if you wanted them badly enough to make your dealer delve into it, but Ludwig looks to have tried to avoid making very many by keeping the availability of these finishes really low key (as in nearly invisible). The "wood" cortex finishes were obviously much easier to produce and so it seems that Ludwig pushed those to the forefront so that most anyone wanting a "wood" finish set would likely assume those wraps were their only option. Gretsch on the other hand seemed to really feature lacquer type finishes by the mid-to-late 70's and when those started to catch on Ludwig also began to give those finishes a higher profile in their 1980 and later catalogs...which was well into the 6 ply era.
True. The only real mention of natural maple as an option prior to the 6-ply era, that I have seen or recall, was in a flyer (copyrighted in 1970) with the headline "custom pearl finishes" showing color swatches of silk colors including "bronze silk" which I don't think I have ever seen, and "New Thermo-Gloss Lacquer" in Natural Maple and Walnut.

On the subject of natural maple...some may remember the set on Ebay about a year or so ago, We talked about it here. 3-ply, BO badge, double bass 26's, 16 and 18 floors with a bunch of toms ...the Carmine Appice look. I was ready to spend stupid money on it but got WAY outbid. It sold for 7k. I expected it would be less than half that tops. My hopes were shattered quickly. :shock: :lol:

gingerb91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine/Matching Mole) played a set of Naturals from like 1969 till he got into that accident in 72.

Bill Bruford (Yes/King Crimson)

I know, a few or the drums are Hayman's, but he did have one or two complete Ludwig kits.

gingerb91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw a "bronze silk" Mach lug 16 x 16 Floor Tom on ebay maybe a year ago. It looked interesting, so I was thinking about bidding on it but, the price rose to the point to where you actually had to really want it. It seemed just like Red or Blue Silk, just yellow.

Lefty

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Natural is one of my favs.
I did own a '76 Luddy kit in Natural.
It aged wonderfully!
Pat

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
katfish said:
I own 2 sets of natural maple 3 ply Luddies. Nah... they're not the "real deal." They're orphans that I re-wrapped in real maple veneer a few years back. Now, I'm thinking of re-wrapping the 10-12-15-22 in green sparkle? I gotta have a green sparkle kit! :D
man i love that 1 up 2 down drum set :occasion5:

LizH

DFO Master
Reaction score
My infamous jazzaire kit was factory natural maple, and it was from '71. i believe natural finishes were an option on the jazzette kits. anyone have that jazzette catalog page handy?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
LizHolland said:
anyone have that jazzette catalog page handy?

Here you go Liz...from catalog '71

By the 75 and 75-1 (circa 1974) catalogs it may no longer have been possible to get the natural finishes. In those catalogs the drums shown that are clearly natural mahogany (Such as the Jazzette, illustrated using the very same picture shown below) are notated "Mahogany Cortex finish shown". One wonders how many people failed to notice this or didn't realize the significance until their formica wrapped "wood" finish drums arrived.

Ludwig probably still had the equipment to do lacquer jobs (they'd still be spraying the finish on wood hoops after all) so maybe if you had the right kind of pull you could still get a Thermo-Gloss job done...but it appears they were really trying to discourage such orders and perhaps after some point they flat out refused to do them (at least until the market forced them to again).

So you could get natural maple on three plies from the late 60's through the early 70's but maybe not after 1974ish. In any regards it seems that Ludwig purposely kept this option somewhat hidden, or maybe they just really missed the boat on marketing this finish....what with Ringo. Bonham, and Appice all out there with these drums you'd think they'd have been a natural :roll: item to try to push as best they could.

Latest posts