Ludwig natural finish 1970-1975 questions

Alquit

Reaction score
I would love to see the Mitch Mitchell set! It had a matching canister throne! I had never even heard of a maple canister throne until I saw a pic of Mitch with it. That is just too cool! I wonder if it survived all these years?
Check my earlier post on this thread for a shot of Mitch's Kit. He gave that Kit to Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine) who still has it.

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
Greetings,

Most of us know that John B., Carmine A., and Ringo S. all had Ludwig drums in natural maple in the late 60's. This finish was never listed by Ludwig.

My questions is: Did Ludwig offer this in the early 70's as well? All I ever see are maple cortex drums.

Slingerland DID offer this finish in the 70's. I have seen quite a few of these kits in the past but NOT Ludwigs.

Thanks,

Yes, Ludwig did offer the natural maple exteriors in 3-ply. Most of them did not survive :blackeye: over the years of being thrown into hippie vans without cases. So, Ludwig then decided to come out with the Cortex or faux finish maple wrap a formica type material that is many times more durable than real wood veneer. I have owned several 3-ply Ludwig kits in both natural and cortex finish.

gingerb91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would love to see the Mitch Mitchell set! It had a matching canister throne! I had never even heard of a maple canister throne until I saw a pic of Mitch with it. That is just too cool! I wonder if it survived all these years?
He gave his natural maples to Robert Wyatt, of the band "Soft Machine". They were beaten very badly, but do still survive today. Sizes were 24x14 Bass, 18x16, 16x16, and 14x10. They can be seen in this video:

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
I kind of wonder about the name "Thermo-Gloss" the "gloss" part is obvious but "Thermo"? That seems to denote that there was heat of some sort used in the process of applying the finish. Perhaps it wasn't standard lacquer but some sort of synthetic requiring heating to set up or harden.

I am not sure if there is an actual connection... But, if you look where it speaks of heating the lacquer ( just around 3:30) you will see that its a process used apparently by only a very few companies.

pallis1

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a 3-ply B/O badge natural maple kit. 12, 13, 16 and 22 (virgin). Clear interior.
They sound so wonderful. A big fat sound. I play in a The Beatles coverband and use them for the late Beatles stuff. If just they had been Keystone badge ones!
I love them and they are one of my best sounding kits.
You can see them here and if you stay paitent to the end , you will se some up close pictures.
My linkLudwig maple in action

Cheers,
Allan

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter56

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a 3-ply B/O badge natural maple kit. 12, 13, 16 and 22 (virgin). Clear interior.
They sound so wonderful. A big fat sound. I play in a The Beatles coverband and use them for the late Beatles stuff. If just they had been Keystone badge ones!
You can see them here and if you stay paitent to the end , you will se some up close pictures.

Cheers,
Allan
Great stuff! Man that set sounds sweet!

miker

Reaction score
A few teaser photos. Still needs to be refinished to have all pieces match.

miker

Reaction score
The other tom up. It will be cut down to a 12x14. All drums will match the 16" in color and finish.

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 1970 24,13,14,16,18 Luddy kit finished in dark stained maple. All clear interiors except the 18.

miker

Reaction score
The person that I was thinking of having refinish my maple thermo-gloss kit moved away from his painter. Does anyone here know of a person that can refinish/restore thermo-gloss pieces???

Thanks!
Mike

teenagebrain

Reaction score
One of the maple kits i have is this beaut(RUNAWAYS DRUMSET)...Virgin 26x14,Vingin 15x12,18x16 Floor all 1969 Blue/Olive w/matching(?)1969 Acrolite 6.5x14...SWEET STUFF !!!

miker

Reaction score
One of the maple kits i have is this beaut(RUNAWAYS DRUMSET)...Virgin 26x14,Vingin 15x12,18x16 Floor all 1969 Blue/Olive w/matching(?)1969 Acrolite 6.5x14...SWEET STUFF !!!
Very nice. Thanks for the photos.

Mike

mountainhick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys

Cheers,
Allan
Thanks for the link Allan! i really like your Beatles stuff, just enough originality but still true to the original um originality. You guys sound great!

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Michael Derosier had a natural maple Ludwig set when he played for Heart. All Bonham sizes and the lugs were made of copper.

miker

Reaction score
1/2" spurs and looks like their are no reinforcement rings. Look through the hole in the BD head.

Latest posts