Ludwig natural finish 1970-1975 questions

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Ok I think this maple downbeat set deserves a thread of it's own now. One with lots of pics and the dates stamps too. What a great set and a rare one at that! Anyone else agree?

H

hindadoon

As already stated somewhere , Ludwig offered the nature maple and walnut natural stain in the 1970 catalogue. Unless I have overlooked it, nobody mentioned walnut in this post. Does anyone own a set in walnut stain ? How would the value of a walnut set compare to the natural maple?
Thanks.

miker

Reaction score
As already stated somewhere , Ludwig offered the nature maple and walnut natural stain in the 1970 catalogue. Unless I have overlooked it, nobody mentioned walnut in this post. Does anyone own a set in walnut stain ? How would the value of a walnut set compare to the natural maple?
Thanks.
Not sure if the walnut is as desirable. Either way here's my all original walnut kit with a virgin 22" (8x12 not shown).View attachment 104382

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
LizHolland said:
anyone have that jazzette catalog page handy?

Here you go Liz...from catalog '71

By the 75 and 75-1 (circa 1974) catalogs it may no longer have been possible to get the natural finishes. In those catalogs the drums shown that are clearly natural mahogany (Such as the Jazzette, illustrated using the very same picture shown below) are notated "Mahogany Cortex finish shown". One wonders how many people failed to notice this or didn't realize the significance until their formica wrapped "wood" finish drums arrived.

Ludwig probably still had the equipment to do lacquer jobs (they'd still be spraying the finish on wood hoops after all) so maybe if you had the right kind of pull you could still get a Thermo-Gloss job done...but it appears they were really trying to discourage such orders and perhaps after some point they flat out refused to do them (at least until the market forced them to again).

So you could get natural maple on three plies from the late 60's through the early 70's but maybe not after 1974ish. In any regards it seems that Ludwig purposely kept this option somewhat hidden, or maybe they just really missed the boat on marketing this finish....what with Ringo. Bonham, and Appice all out there with these drums you'd think they'd have been a natural :roll: item to try to push as best they could.
I also remember a drummer acquaintance in the early 1970's who owned a double 18" BDs, 12" / 12" /14" FT all in natural maple finish B/O badges. I have never seen one since! Must have been a custom ordered kit.

H

hindadoon

Thanks.
Not sure if the walnut is as desirable. Either way here's my all original walnut kit with a virgin 22" (8x12 not shown).View attachment 104382
Beautiful set. I see you have a Coliseum back there too.

miker

Reaction score
Thanks.

Thanks. Solid Percussion 7x14 pre-Craviotto era 1989.

H

hindadoon

Thanks.

Thanks. Solid Percussion 7x14 pre-Craviotto era 1989.
Nice. I just glanced at the lugs .....

miker

Reaction score
Excellent score!!! 10x14 blue/olive maple thermo-gloss, single muffler left hand mount. Will need to be stripped and refinished, but great find.

miker

Reaction score
Excellent score!!! 10x14 blue/olive maple thermo-gloss, single muffler left hand mount. Will need to be stripped and refinished, but great find.
Glue removed.

miker

Reaction score
Bumpin' an old thread. I had an occasion to drag these out for a photo today. Just wanted to share. :D Definitely a players kit or a prime candidate for a full restoration...14, 16, 18, 26.

Time to put some matching heads on the 18" and go for a spin.

View attachment 137277

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

26-15-16-18- 14 Black Oyster Pioneer. All 3 ply. Bun e this kit rocks!!!

Cymbals- 14'' SE 602 hats reissue- 20'' Vintage white label Paiste Giant Beat- 20'' 602 Medium Ride reissue/ 2oo2 22'' ride from '77, 19'' Armand Beautiful Baby ride

One can see the color difference from the toms to the Kick only because I have not Virtuoso cleaned and polished the toms yet.

This is at Wall to Wall recording studios in Chicago. Recorded all analogue to tape, brought out the good stuff!!!

greggp

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Older members may remember Paistecat (Joe N.). He's my cousin, and one time I went to his house and he had eight (8) B/O badge Ludwig kits in maple Thremo-Gloss, each with either a 26" or 28" bass, one rack tom and two floor toms, and all with Ludwig fiber cases. They are out there somewhere now.

Latest posts