Ludwig Neusonic 2021

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
lots of size options, and all traditional.
Yep - just took a look at the site, and they've got just about every size add-on you could want:
under Component Add-Ons

20, 22, and 24" bass drums, all with 14" depth too.
I really like these, and hope they take off and sell well.
There might be a Black Velvet Downbeat out there with my name on it. :toothy7:

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I really like the sound of these shells. Surp change is secondary to me really. As long as they hold, it works for me. I can work around any other adjustment I may need.
The new snares are something I'd seriously consider because of the different shell too.
Everything else is something I already have (brass, bronze etc...) and it's getting pretty expensive to just have a different look--when no one sees the snare anyway haha!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the satin wood actual wood or some sort of wrap? At $370 the snare catches my eye for sure, I don't need another kit but the neusonic is a great value.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the satin wood actual wood or some sort of wrap? At $370 the snare catches my eye for sure, I don't need another kit but the neusonic is a great value.
I don't know, but I would guess they are using the same formica-style veneer they used on the Standard Maple snares, which is what I think all the Neusonic finishes have been up until now. It seems like they wouldn't be able to offer an exotic real wood veneer at this price.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I always thought the old spurs is what made the kit cheap looking.
I believe the spurs were carried over from the kit with the lugs you had to install yourself, can't remember the name of the line. I haven't used the spurs but don't like the look of them in pictures or when I've looked at a kit in person...again though I haven't used them

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know, but I would guess they are using the same formica-style veneer they used on the Standard Maple snares, which is what I think all the Neusonic finishes have been up until now. It seems like they wouldn't be able to offer an exotic real wood veneer at this price.
That's what I would assume as well

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe the spurs were carried over from the kit with the lugs you had to install yourself, can't remember the name of the line. I haven't used the spurs but don't like the look of them in pictures or when I've looked at a kit in person...again though I haven't used them
I don’t mind a formica wrap. But, imitation wood grain never made sense to me since they were putting it on the sides of station wagons and home appliances.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup, they're from the Signet series. I believe they were one of the things that Josh from Inde designed when he was at Ludwig.

I always thought the old spurs is what made the kit cheap looking.
See, I have the opposite reaction -- the previous ones were custom designed spurs. These are the same generic Pearl-style that you can get from Drum Factory Direct. Different strokes for different folks, I guess :)

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
If that wood wrap was originally offered id may have made a stronger effort to keep them!
Love the new wood wrap!
Maybe a snare,someday

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I heard back that the satin wood is similar to a cortex wrap, still at the price point would be a great kit and would look great for a long time.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone had a chance to compare these to Gretsch Renown? I know I like the tone of the Neusonic but wonder if they project well.

I had a the Tama Superstar Classic which didn’t project much overall and wouldn’t want that again.