Ludwig Neusonic 2021

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t mind a formica wrap. But, imitation wood grain never made sense to me since they were putting it on the sides of station wagons and home appliances.
I recently picked up an 8x14 Standard in that same fake wood wrap... in my opinion, it looks terribly cheap and flat in person. It has no depth to the finish like you would get with actual wood... veneer even. It’s just kind of a letdown to be honest in the looks department. Sounds good but I wouldn’t show it off on display or anything.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always liked those mini lugs. It was those lugs and keystone badges that sold me on the Rocker Pro back in the late 90s

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is not wood, it is Formica plasticy stuff. Maybe I could live with the solid black or the powder blue, but fake wood... no way.

As far as durability, it has just not been a factor for me in 25 years of bar band drumming and using natural wood finish drums.

Just take care of your drums and use cases...

heck, let the drums get a few well-earned dings and scratches if you play 'em, no different than a guitar or a fiddle (or a 4x4 truck or jeep). I sure got a scratch or two from use and age, as does my drum set, my guitar and my Tacoma.

Last edited:

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I _hate_ that they got rid of the unique spurs on those kits and went with the same generic pearl-style spurs that every other cheap kit has.

Boooooo! :)
I'd only buy the drums without any mounts, spurs or legs and install Yamaha YES tom holders. I'd also install a non shell-penetrating Yamaha 7/8-inch tom mount tube suspending the Bass drum off the floor on two opposite points to my HexRack system. The minimalistic-looking lugs remind me of my Maple Custom Absolutes. Love that look.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How do these sound soooo good?
Not a fan of the finishes but maybe blue is nice, I wish the badge was brass, it’d give the kit more color.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait, anyone has experience with these kits?
do they really sound this good?

I mean they cut some corners here and there to make it affordable for some but this looks like a legit Ludwig USA kit.