Ludwig NeuSonic set

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try a forum search. There is already some good information here about the neusonics.

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
I own one. The 22-16-12 in white.

Pros:
- Plenty responsive and plenty of volume. Nice tone with the maple/cherry construction.
- Lightweight. The toms are weighed down by hefty mounts but the bass drum feels light as a feather.
- The two-position bass drum spurs. Some dislike, but they're efficient and effective, certainly not "flimsy".
- They look pretty good, although YMMV when it comes to the matt finishes. Mine is well applied at least.

Cons:
- I've had some difficulty dialling in the toms. The rack is a bit small and the floor a bit big for my liking.
- Because they're Ludwig/American made they're not that cheap. Value isn't great vs a well-made Asian or used kit.
- Bass drum hoops are sharp at the edges and not in round until on the drum, neither of those is a great look.
- They come with crappy Remo UT heads so you will be up for the cost of decent heads right out of the box.

I bought mine as I needed something bigger/louder than my fusion-size Starclassics for a particularly loud band. I was drawn to Ludwig/Gretsch for a change and I wanted something middle of the road that I could gig with and not worry about too much. It meets all those criteria.

But part of me knows I could have paid less for better drums if I'd not been drawn away from my usual preference for Japanese brands, or if I'd been patient and picked up something used.

I've just acquired some die cast hoops for the toms and I'm thinking about trying different heads. This could turn the set into what it could/should be (in my head, at least) or it could be throwing good money after bad. If I'm honest I'm at something of a crossroads with these drums.

Conversely, my opinion of my 21-year-old birch Starclassics has gone from "these are good drums" to "these are great drums and now I want to order Starclassic Maples in custom sizes".

Last edited:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had the blk cortex with an Arch for the tom.
From my experience, the toms tuned fine,the toms were very responsive and punchy,headed w Cl Emps and Cl Ambs.
The bass being so thin a shell with the edges sharp i muffled it more than my other basses and it rocked.
The maple/cherry blend gave the toms a nice round tone.
I really loved them,just couldn't keep them.
28664.jpeg

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a set, anyone have any experiance with this set?
The Neusonic's were on my short list of kit's to possibly buy. I was able to get Classic Maples by purchasing them from the Ludwig Factory Outlet. I ended up spending a tad more than if I would have bought the Neusonic's but I saved a ton of money. Take a look and see if you like anything that they have. They don't have much right now because I guess thing's are slow but you never know. They've got a brand new 4 piece Signet kit for $699! The Signet's are also USA made and they're 6 ply North American Maple.

Last edited: