Ludwig Neusonic?

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Hey guys. Has anyone actually played or bought a Ludwig Neusonic set yet? Been looking for reviews on these guys but all I've been able to find are a few promotional YouTube videos. Thanks.

Techhead

Reaction score
I've not played them but have seen 2 of the 4 available finishes. The blue and white color wraps are a very flat finish, possibly the most dull surface I've ever seen on drums.The shells are extremely lightweight and the hardware is a bit too minimal and underwhelming looking in my opinion. I'd like to see the black gloss finish.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Gunnellett said:
Hey guys. Has anyone actually played or bought a Ludwig Neusonic set yet? Been looking for reviews on these guys but all I've been able to find are a few promotional YouTube videos. Thanks.
Here's an ad from a music store that's selling a set...

.hey, its not a Ludwig promotional clip, but it is a sales ad. Anyway, hope that helps.

Elvis

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Techhead said:
I've not played them but have seen 2 of the 4 available finishes. The blue and white color wraps are a very flat finish, possibly the most dull surface I've ever seen on drums.The shells are extremely lightweight and the hardware is a bit too minimal and underwhelming looking in my opinion. I'd like to see the black gloss finish.
It's interesting, I was drawn to the blue color right away cause it is different and interesting but I see most people like it so it may end up not being all that unique
I normally do not like white drums but the flat look and matching bass drum hoops has really grown on me but then again I haven't laid eyes on a set. Black always looks classy and you can't really go wrong. I really do not dig the printed pergo look of the sugar maple.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Elvis said:
Here's an ad from a music store that's selling a set...

.hey, its not a Ludwig promotional clip, but it is a sales ad. Anyway, hope that helps.

Elvis
Thanks. Hadn't seen that video yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've read on a number of online forums that Ludwig has been having a hard time keeping up with the demand for the Neusonic kits. However, I've yet to see one being played locally or on display at any drum shop I've visited in the last year. Ludwig introduced a new coral finish at last week's NAMM show.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Hey I had the chance to look at these drums closely at my local shop, they look good and sound good, a great deal for the price.

The only thing I didn't like was the wrap, looking at it closely it is paper thin and is definitely where Ludwig is saving the most money.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey I had the chance to look at these drums closely at my local shop, they look good and sound good, a great deal for the price.

The only thing I didn't like was the wrap, looking at it closely it is paper thin and is definitely where Ludwig is saving the most money.
If the black cortex is the same they use on their Classic Maple kits, then you need not worry about it. That particular wrap is bullet proof. Also, with the Neusonic, the wrap is actually the outer ply of the shell so I don't think you would have any problems with lifting or bubbling.

Heyleuck

Reaction score
If the black cortex is the same they use on their Classic Maple kits, then you need not worry about it. That particular wrap is bullet proof. Also, with the Neusonic, the wrap is actually the outer ply of the shell so I don't think you would have any problems with lifting or bubbling.
I own Lud with the mod orange wrap and I agree it is very durable. I dont think that Neusonic uses the same thick wrap. The one I saw was the blue, and is was thin like a sticker

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Yeah it has just been surprising to me there has been next no discussion about these drums, at least on this forum.

It seems like a great price point for a no frills, lightweight, American made set from a reputable maker.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I reviewed a kit for Drum! last year. Really, really loved the sound - especially the bass drum and floor tom. Felt great to play as well.

Only a couple of negatives for me:
  • Sugar maple finish looked cheap up close
  • Bass drum hoops had un-rounded edges - looked unfinished
  • Two-position, non-adjustable bass drum spurs look cheap and don't any flexibility
To me, they sound and tune like expensive, high-end drums, but they look cheap.

Here's the video I put together for the review. I did a bad job with the EQ here. The overheads I was using aren't great, and I left the EQ pretty flat. I'm hearing more mid-range noise in the recording than I did in the room with the drums. Kind of messy.

ludwigjim

Reaction score
Call Drum Center of New Hampshire and ask Shane, Tim or Tom about them. They know their stuff. Nuesonics got decent reviews for a budget kit from what I've seen. Good luck.........

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found this that might interest you:
$750 for a used one that in the picture looks mint. That's a savings of $250 from a new one.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ludwig/NEUSONIC-Drum-Kit-114856958.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1sriBRD-ARIsABYdwwFPOl-SXFYekcB_bXR7HXTW2-82Njllgk9sXtstAup6kHadEICjAmsaAqrjEALw_wcB

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I was starting to lament about paying what I paid for my Classic Maples 20 years ago, but it's starting to sound like I have nothing to worry about.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
No, but I think I like the light blue. I'd get a strip of 4" or 6" silver sparkle tape and add to the kit like a "duco"....and it would look so cool! I also dig the silver keystone badges. I think also I'd want aged maple hoops.....

Latest posts