LUDWIG NEW YORKER 1960's

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t realize ‘62 was the cutoff year for the bass drum spur transition. Do you know when they stopped cataloguing the New Yorker? Was it 1964ish?
from the '62 catalog...probably put out in late '61 (same time I was ;) )

LD62-18.JPG

The New Yorker outfit lasted through the '67 catalog but the 12x22 was replaced with a 14x20 somewhere along the way.

67LD-~78.JPG

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too play a 12x22 WFL, I got it with extra holes and stripped wrap. Filled the holes and shot it with black lacquer from a spray can and started gigging it. I’m afraid to do anything else to it as it sounds incredible as is and I don’t want to mess with the mojo!

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's my video that JDA posted. That 12x22 bass drum is one of the best sounding I own (and I own quite a few). A 16x16 would not have been part of the original set so having that included is a real plus as well (I had to hunt mine down, I have since added a matching 16x18 to the mix).

Really hard to go wrong with Ludwigs from this era. Especially if they are Pre-Beatle Boom early 60s when they were putting a bit more care into their construction.

View attachment 529507

Just to be clear the New Yorkers aren't any different than any other Ludwig drums of the era. The name just refers to that particular combination of sizes (12/22) that were cataloged together. But it does mean you get that somewhat rare 12" deep bass drum which is a plus as they sound great. Most wrapped Ludwigs of that time were mahogany/poplar/mahogany although sometimes maple was used as an inner ply, particularly on bass drums.
I had a WFL 12/22. In the TOP 3 best sounding BD's for me.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it has to do with the relationship of the depth to the diameter proportion-wise? 12x22 looks proportionally very similar to a 14x24 which is another good sounding bass drum size. I don't know but almost everyone who has experienced this size combo is impressed by it, myself included.

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
22x12 all the way here.
One of my fav bass drums.
IT HAS PUNCH!!
While this set is NOT a NYer (but I am) it is a Porto-Pak outfit which came with the 8x12 tom & the awesome 5.5x13 snare & 22x12 kick.
the FT on this kit is era correct & was ordered with kit. All WFL badges & the shells of greatness.
1952 WFL Porto-Pak Outfit No. 986P in Sparkling Red Pearl

1957-ludwig-drum-sets-1.jpg

IMG_7992.jpg

bassdrum2.jpg

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
22x12 all the way here.
One of my fav bass drums.
IT HAS PUNCH!!
While this set is NOT a NYer (but I am) it is a Porto-Pak outfit which came with the 8x12 tom & the awesome 5.5x13 snare & 22x12 kick.
the FT on this kit is era correct & was ordered with kit. All WFL badges & the shells of greatness.
1952 WFL Porto-Pak Outfit No. 986P in Sparkling Red Pearl

View attachment 529588
View attachment 529589
View attachment 529590

Very nice!
Interesting to see the larger lugs on the 12". My drum is a 1959 and has the smaller lugs, I wonder when they made that changeover? Also my set is all from December 1959 and has the dual purpose red/blue two sided sparkle but I have a 13" tom from March of 1959 and it is red glass glitter so there was another transition sometime in between there as well.

Thebstar

Reaction score
I have the Gretsch version (Brooklyner 12x22, 9x13 and original 16x16) and the 12x22 is fantastic!! Grab the kit if you can.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the larger lug on the 12 with the nickle-brass hoops almost put them equal with Gretsch beauty ;)

I remember Spider grabbing me one time and saying "the big lug on the 12" is back around 80 or so.. lol. It's a big deal : )
He was born in 1935 and it meant something to him..

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that detailed explanation! that is a lovely kit you have there and yes, I agree, the 16x16 is definitely a plus! I am going to jump on it. I've only heard great things about the 12x22 bass drum. What are your thoughts about using this in a House of Worship? The kit I am looking at has the white shell paint inside.

I used to use my New Yorker at church about a year ago during the pandemic when we had church outside every Sunday. Mic'd (or unmic'd) they sound great! The church has a house kit (a lower line dw kit) and I much preferred my 60's kits over it, so I brought my own drums whenever I was scheduled to play.

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
I too play a 12x22 WFL, I got it with extra holes and stripped wrap. Filled the holes and shot it with black lacquer from a spray can and started gigging it. I’m afraid to do anything else to it as it sounds incredible as is and I don’t want to mess with the mojo!
Thanks for this!

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
I wonder if it has to do with the relationship of the depth to the diameter proportion-wise? 12x22 looks proportionally very similar to a 14x24 which is another good sounding bass drum size. I don't know but almost everyone who has experienced this size combo is impressed by it, myself included.
I appreciate the feedback, well taken!