LUDWIG NEW YORKER 1960's

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use coated Ambassador for both batter and reso on my toms. Coated Ambassador or a smooth white for reso on kick. For batter on kick, I tried coated Emperor and coated Ambassador, but the PS3 brought the right amount of boom for my 12x22. It takes so little effort to get a big sound out of that size bass drum. Your kit looks great!

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
Late to this conversation. My "New Yorker" is a little different. I used a 12x20 marching bass drum [WFL I think] and matched it with an 8x12 and 14x14. Rewrapped in Oyster Blue Pearl. I LOVE my 12x20 and won't get rid of it. GREAT sound and cool size. Now I want to find a 12x22 bass drum.
Stretch View attachment 530267 View attachment 530268
Great looking kit!!!

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
I use coated Ambassador for both batter and reso on my toms. Coated Ambassador or a smooth white for reso on kick. For batter on kick, I tried coated Emperor and coated Ambassador, but the PS3 brought the right amount of boom for my 12x22. It takes so little effort to get a big sound out of that size bass drum. Your kit looks great!
Thanks! Have you ever tried a 2ply on the toms?

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Have you ever tried a 2ply on the toms?
Yes. When I first got my kit I tried coated Emperors. They sounded good, but the coated Ambassadors seemed to brighten them up a bit, and I could add a touch of muffling if needed. I went back and forth and finally settled on the Ambassadors. The Emperors would definitely work though.

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
Yes. When I first got my kit I tried coated Emperors. They sounded good, but the coated Ambassadors seemed to brighten them up a bit, and I could add a touch of muffling if needed. I went back and forth and finally settled on the Ambassadors. The Emperors would definitely work though.
Great to know!

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a few decades of playing vintage Ludwig drums [3-ply with reinforcing rings] I prefer the sound I get from single-ply coated batter heads rather than two-ply. It can be Aquarian Texture Coated, Evans G1 coated, or Remo Coated Ambassador. I use clear resonant heads but coated work too.
Stretch

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
After a few decades of playing vintage Ludwig drums [3-ply with reinforcing rings] I prefer the sound I get from single-ply coated batter heads rather than two-ply. It can be Aquarian Texture Coated, Evans G1 coated, or Remo Coated Ambassador. I use clear resonant heads but coated work too.
Stretch
Thanks so much for that information