Ludwig no serial number 1960s

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah baby!! The turned in rounded bearing edge flange is the definitive clue. Picture 2. Nice grab!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early imperial lugs and a shell that weighs 2 lbs more than the aluminum. Score the brass.

Last edited:

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll put her on the scale upon arrival. Should be 3-4 days. Then I'll have some head off pics mid restoration. She needs a bath!

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats! The turned in lip on the flange, the small muffler knob and the early imperial lugs with the smaller 1st tier...She's Brass alright. Way to go!!

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks JP! I like those acrolite snares as well as old brass shells. I have those acrolite snares on my 20s Luddy standard.
Sure thing Gary. Those brass Acro wires sure do sound good . I prefer them over the Script logo steel chrome plated version. Brass wires, brass drum there you go!

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll put her on the scale upon arrival. Should be 3-4 days. Then I'll have some head off pics mid restoration. She needs a bath!
COB at an Aluminum price.

The seller gives 9.5 lbs as the weight. If that is correct it checks out as full dress weight as it is too heavy for bare shell weight. The current prediction equations for full dress weight is

5" depth: if < 3500 Aluminum, if > 3800 Brass or Bronze
6.5" depth: if < 3710 Aluminum, if > 4000 Brass or Bronze

Now 9.5 lbs is 4300g so that's well above the current zone of uncertainty (3500g - 3800g) so that shell is brass. In order to reduce the zone of uncertainty I need more data so if you weigh the snare full dress and bare shell that will help. I speak either grams or pounds. :wink:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and useful info. I just got notice it was shipped and should arrive by Monday.
As a rule, I never post any "fortunate" new purchases UNTIL the item is in the shipper's hand and shows tracking. The less ethical just might back out or "forget" to ship.....or claim it was sold locally and they "forgot" to end the Ebay listing. It happens.
And they shipped it for FREE too !

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was excited and curious so I posted.. I'll wait next time. A buyer that doesn't ship when paid in full his asking price is just as bad as a non paying buyer.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would still be a nice score if it wasn’t brass!
I have envy.