Ludwig or Yamaha?

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really hate posting this type of question but need some thoughts here. I have a big kit of Ludwig Classic Maples and have an opportunity to trade straight across for an Yamaha maple custom absolute hybrid kit. Everything being equal in sizes, etc. So, I’m leaning toward keeping the CM kit but don’t want to pass on a kit which is potentially better(?). Thoughts and opinions from the Yamaha owners

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. I've got two Ludwig CM sets, and a Yamaha maple custom absolute set (not hybrids).
I'm keeping the Ludwigs and plan on selling the Yamaha. But I'm not you, so YMMV

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of each and neither is going until my son sells them after I'm gone.
That said, I'm opposite of the previous poster. I keep the Ludwigs because they were a gift from my grandfather.
Bought my YMCs myself. I keep them because they're awesome. Yamahas for me.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last drumset I bought was a Ludwig Legacy Maple kit. I could have bought a Yamaha (or a Gretsch, a DW or any other make) but I chose Ludwig. And I'm glad I did.

clockworkorange

Reaction score
Really hate posting this type of question but need some thoughts here. I have a big kit of Ludwig Classic Maples and have an opportunity to trade straight across for an Yamaha maple custom absolute hybrid kit. Everything being equal in sizes, etc. So, I’m leaning toward keeping the CM kit but don’t want to pass on a kit which is potentially better(?). Thoughts and opinions from the Yamaha owners
I have a ludwig kit...and LOTS of stories attached to it. Yamaha has way better QC than ludwig...always have. I couldn't find a yamaha recording custom kit in sizes I wanted so I got this little Tama birch shell kit, it's AWESOME.

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with either. I'm a Yamaha guy, but if I had your Ludwigs and liked them I wouldn't trade, unless you are looking for something new.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I am a Yamaha guy but you may not be, if you got the itch, why not..and find out.
I have always said if I am going to an audition of a lifetime, I am bringing Yamaha every time.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
IMO, Yamaha has more consistent QC, especially when it comes to bearing edges. And Yamaha has better designed more durable hardware, especially tom mount hardware. I personally like the aesthetic of Ludwig lugs. OTOH, my understanding is that Ludwig shells are made from N. American maple and Yamaha AHM drums are made from Asian maple.

Best if you can A/B them.

MarkB

Reaction score
Sounds like a good opportunity to break out a blindfold and listen. I own Ludwig CM, and Yamaha MC (not absolute). Different sounding kits that feel different when played. Both are very nice. My preference is YMC.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’d rather have Ludwig. I’ve had Yamahas but one I hate the tom arms and two I never dig a company that has hands in so many pots. Motor sports etc…. Just my opinion I know alot of drummers who love them.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I’d rather have Ludwig. I’ve had Yamahas but one I hate the tom arms and two I never dig a company that has hands in so many pots. Motor sports etc…. Just my opinion I know alot of drummers who love them.
On he other hand, to me everything Yamaha makes is of excellent quality, drums, pianos, guitars
boat engines etc. Time and time again I see big name musicians behind a Yamaha piano.

hefty

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this trade with a friend? I'm wondering if you could do a one week or one month trial after which either party can back out no questions asked. Short of that, I'd set them up next to each other and play them and see if you like the Yamahas better.

p.s. Personally I'd pick the Yamahas.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own both and not in the exact same sizes.....but that being said I think you'll find the Yamaha sound a tad more aggressive than the Ludwig's but in a good way. The AHM loves G-2's. My AHM kit will be for sale but only because I own a similar sized Recording Custom and the Ludwig's .... If I want maple I have a smaller kit available and the AHMs are way too nice to just sit there.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, you all are making this hard!! No, I do t have access to playing them before a trade so will have to go with a variety of sound samples which is subjective at best. But having owned Yamaha in the past I am very familiar with the quality. Ludwig QC is iffy and have had an issue on a new 10” tom which should never have left the factory. Another plus on the hybrid is a factory 14” deep bass drum

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what type of lug is the Yamaha traditional or the hook;
there's a back and forth over the pros/cons over them going on for four days between owners lovers and haters, over at drummerworld that's all I know

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what type of lug is the Yamaha traditional or the hook;
there's a back and forth over the pros/cons over them going on for four days between owners lovers and haters, over at drummerworld that's all I know
Yeah people don’t like the hook lugs. But the drums sound the same regardless of lug type.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't the sound some didn't like. It was threading the Rod initially when Changing heads or whatever WASN'T the sound