Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl - worth the 6.5 hour round trip drive!

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am fortunate to have picked up another Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl kit. This one is 20 with cymbal arm, 12, 14 with a December 27, 1966 Ludwig Supra with a white baseball bat muffler. The floor tom is stamped Jan 11, 1967, with badge 441,XXX.

It came with fibre cases, some stands (mixed); a pair of 15" Cymbals, a 19.5 Mica Sonic cymbal with rivets that appear to be aftermarket based on the pencil markings on it :), and a Zildjian 22" Hollow Logo Cymbal with rivets (1950's I am guessing). The 15" hihat cymbals do not have any stamps on them other than what looks like a faint indistinguishable round ink stamp, and "medium" ink stamped on the back of each one. They are lovely sounding and relatively thin compared to newer hihat cymbals. Incredible hand hammering on them also.

To say I am excited is an understatement. They are dirty and need a good cleaning. the lugs are in pretty good shape, as is the wrap, thankfully. There was a rope tied to the bass drum claws to prevent the bass from walking away :)

I do need to source a few pieces though to get it back to original. So, if anyone has these, please let me know:
20" Ludwig Bass drum hoop with inlay
8 Ludwig Claws and t's
8 Ludwig tension rods for the 14" floor tom, and 1 14" hoop.

Attachments

Last edited:

kallen49

Reaction score
Wow, those great, congrats!
Having paid $150 for a 1966 BOP, 12”, 14” 20” (and a set of temple blocks), in 1977,
I’m curious what you paid for these?
Please excuse my curiosity if you‘d rather not say.

A current poster In “vintage venue“ says he recently paid $1000 for a rewrapped 12/14/18 Late 50’s/60’s.
I still have the 20” BOP bass but traded for 13” & 16” Blue OP toms so wondering what they are worth?
(I would not sell them as the young drummers in my family adore them ;)

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I am fortunate to have picked up another Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl kit. This one is 20 with cymbal arm, 12, 14 with a December 27, 1966 Ludwig Supra with a white baseball bat muffler. The floor tom is stamped Jan 11, 1967, with badge 441,XXX.

It came with fibre cases, some stands (mixed); a pair of 15" Cymbals, a 19.5 Mica Sonic cymbal with rivets that appear to be aftermarket based on the pencil markings on it :), and a Zildjian 22" Hollow Logo Cymbal with rivets (1950's I am guessing). The 15" hihat cymbals do not have any stamps on them other than what looks like a faint indistinguishable round ink stamp, and "medium" ink stamped on the back of each one. They are lovely sounding and relatively thin compared to newer hihat cymbals. Incredible hand hammering on them also.

To say I am excited is an understatement. They are dirty and need a good cleaning. the lugs are in pretty good shape, as is the wrap, thankfully. There was a rope tied to the bass drum claws to prevent the bass from walking away :)

I do need to source a few pieces though to get it back to original. So, if anyone has these, please let me know:
20" Ludwig Bass drum hoop with inlay
8 Ludwig Claws and t's
8 Ludwig tension rods for the 14" floor tom, and 1 14" hoop.
Original Black Oyster Pearl and Blue Oyster Pearl are my favorite wraps. I can't really see the overall condition from the pics, but, if they are in good shape, it was definitely worth the ride in my view.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Original Black Oyster Pearl and Blue Oyster Pearl are my favorite wraps. I can't really see the overall condition from the pics, but, if they are in good shape, it was definitely worth the ride in my view.
The drum pictures are what the seller sent me. I took the pictures of the cymbals last night. I will post some pictures once I get them cleaned up a bit. The drums are pretty dirty still. I plan to work on them a bit this weekend.

Last edited:

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, those great, congrats!
Having paid $150 for a 1966 BOP, 12”, 14” 20” (and a set of temple blocks), in 1977,
I’m curious what you paid for these?
Please excuse my curiosity if you‘d rather not say.

A current poster In “vintage venue“ says he recently paid $1000 for a rewrapped 12/14/18 Late 50’s/60’s.
I still have the 20” BOP bass but traded for 13” & 16” Blue OP toms so wondering what they are worth?
(I would not sell them as the young drummers in my family adore them ;)
You got a very good deal on your drums!

I did very well on the price and I actually ended up giving the seller more money than they were asking. My price was definitely below market for the kit, et al.

kallen49

Reaction score
You got a very good deal on your drums!

I did very well on the price and I actually ended up giving the seller more money than they were asking. My price was definitely below market for the kit, et al.
Good drummer karma! Very glad to hear that. I hope the universe rewards you for paying more than asking price.
In southern Ontario in 1977 “vintage” drums didn’t exist as a market, (I was working at a music store so people occasionally pulled up with a car full of gear), so paying $150 for “old drums” was not unusual.
I remember seeing a bin of Paiste 2002 18” flat ride cymbals selling for $50 each at Long & McQuade around then which is of course long ago now. L&M had one store in TO now have 30 plus across Canada.
I already had a Paiste 18” flat that I foolishly sold later. Still looking for a replacement.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good drummer karma! Very glad to hear that. I hope the universe rewards you for paying more than asking price.
In southern Ontario in 1977 “vintage” drums didn’t exist as a market, (I was working at a music store so people occasionally pulled up with a car full of gear), so paying $150 for “old drums” was not unusual.
I remember seeing a bin of Paiste 2002 18” flat ride cymbals selling for $50 each at Long & McQuade around then which is of course long ago now. L&M had one store in TO now have 30 plus across Canada.
I already had a Paiste 18” flat that I foolishly sold later. Still looking for a replacement.
I have a 22" Paiste Signature Flat Ride I am selling. PM me if you are interested.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
A 14" floor tom makes it well worth any reasonable amount, and probably any unreasonable amount. After the Jazz Festival that is the most sought after size in OBP. I would have made that drive twice ;)

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sir, would you mind saying what store in S. Ontario you worked in? Michigander though I am, I started spending a lot of time in T.O. at that time, till '83, with later visits to Windsor and then T.O. starting up again in the 90's. Love Canada, and a fair amount of my music history is there.

kallen49

Reaction score
Sir, would you mind saying what store in S. Ontario you worked in? Michigander though I am, I started spending a lot of time in T.O. at that time, till '83, with later visits to Windsor and then T.O. starting up again in the 90's. Love Canada, and a fair amount of my music history is there.
In Burlington Ont. at “The Sound Shop” as a teenager then at “Burlington Music” which became “Lakeshore Music” which eventually was one of the many local stores bought by Long & McQuade who now have 80 stores in Canada. I also worked partime at Burlington L&M from 2003 to 2010.
In 1973 my older brother took me and my younger brother to the original L&M store on Bloor street in TO which I remember well. Then, as now, real musicians worked in the store and they were friendly, helpful and willing to teach young musicians.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A 14" floor tom makes it well worth any reasonable amount, and probably any unreasonable amount. After the Jazz Festival that is the most sought after size in OBP. I would have made that drive twice ;)
I would do it again in a heartbeat :)

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I agree, I love both the original Oyster Black Pearl and Oyster Blue Pearl wraps.

Latest posts