Ludwig OYSTER BLUE; My "New" Addition To My Old Kit

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have some time on my hands, so I decided to add a matching vintage 16x16 Ludwig floor tom to my 1960's Ludwig Oyster Blue 20/12/14 drum kit that is all rewrapped with wrap from Bum Wrap. (Especially since I now only own one Ludwig kit.) I looked at original Oyster Blue drums for sale and the cost was nuts for a 16" floor tom, so I knew I had to make my own. I bought a shell here on DFO, and between the shell and wrap it was less than $225.

The pictures below show:
My 20/12/14 at a recent gig [12x20, 8x12, 14x14]
The red satin shell is what I started with
After I peeled off the wrap I had arguably the ugliest shell in California, heck maybe in the entire USA!
The finished 16x16
And just for kicks I wrapped one of my Pioneer snare drums in 1970's Oyster Blue wrap

Stretch
Full pic.jpg
Bought Outside and Wrap.jpg
Before shell seam.jpg
full airhole side.jpg
full seam side.jpg
full side1.jpg

BlueJay

Reaction score
I have some time on my hands, so I decided to add a matching vintage 16x16 Ludwig floor tom to my 1960's Ludwig Oyster Blue 20/12/14 drum kit that is all rewrapped with wrap from Bum Wrap. (Especially since I now only own one Ludwig kit.) I looked at original Oyster Blue drums for sale and the cost was nuts for a 16" floor tom, so I knew I had to make my own. I bought a shell here on DFO, and between the shell and wrap it was less than $225.

The pictures below show:
My 20/12/14 at a recent gig [12x20, 8x12, 14x14]
The red satin shell is what I started with
After I peeled off the wrap I had arguably the ugliest shell in California, heck maybe in the entire USA!
The finished 16x16
And just for kicks I wrapped one of my Pioneer snare drums in 1970's Oyster Blue wrap

Stretch View attachment 434707 View attachment 434708 View attachment 434710 View attachment 434711 View attachment 434712 View attachment 434714
Where'd you get the wrap? My only set of drums are blue oyster Ludwigs I bought in 1973. It seems like all the oyster blue I see now actually look black to me. That snare drum pix color looks perfect to me. If it's not sacrilege, I might wrap my 5x14 supraphonic. Will have to think hard and stress about that. (like I did with drill and rivets in hand looking at my mainstay 22" zildjian ride [also 1973])

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice work! I've never seen any Bum Wraps in person to determine how closely they replicate original 60's oyster blue pearl, but I can say that your kit looks great from a distance.

BlueJay

Reaction score
Where'd you get the wrap? My only set of drums are blue oyster Ludwigs I bought in 1973. It seems like all the oyster blue I see now actually look black to me. That snare drum pix color looks perfect to me. If it's not sacrilege, I might wrap my 5x14 supraphonic. Will have to think hard and stress about that. (like I did with drill and rivets in hand looking at my mainstay 22" zildjian ride [also 1973])
Never mind. I saw the reference to bum wrap and checked them out. Then, taking a closer look at my snare drum I do note the raised center rib around the middle of the drum. I'm assuming that would preclude me being able to do this. It's funny what you finally notice after 47 years and after completely disassembling/re-assembling the drum 2 or 3 times. In my (lame-ass) defense, I'm usually looking down on the drum from above and the rib isn't visible.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
The wrap on the drum kit drums (12, 14, 16, 20) came from Bum Wrap Drum Company. It's called 1960's Oyster Blue.
The wrap on the snare drum was bought on eBay. The seller had peeled it off a 14x14 vintage Ludwig drum. I cut the center piece out to use for recovering the snare. There are a few extra holes in the wrap that I patched. It was only about $25 too!

Stretch

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never mind. I saw the reference to bum wrap and checked them out. Then, taking a closer look at my snare drum I do note the raised center rib around the middle of the drum. I'm assuming that would preclude me being able to do this. It's funny what you finally notice after 47 years and after completely disassembling/re-assembling the drum 2 or 3 times. In my (lame-ass) defense, I'm usually looking down on the drum from above and the rib isn't visible.
You can still put wrap on a Supraphonic shell. Just ignore the bead around the middle. Put the wrap on, put the hardware back on, and you won't notice a huge difference in the sound. I know because I've done it before!

Stretch

woody1953

Reaction score
Nice work! I've never seen any Bum Wraps in person to determine how closely they replicate original 60's oyster blue pearl, but I can say that your kit looks great from a distance.
Here is a direct comparison. The 14x14 is Bum Wrap and the 16x16 is original 1968 oyster blue.
IMG_0626.jpeg

BlueJay

Reaction score
You can still put wrap on a Supraphonic shell. Just ignore the bead around the middle. Put the wrap on, put the hardware back on, and you won't notice a huge difference in the sound. I know because I've done it before!

Stretch
hmmm... Intrigued.. The total circumference of the Supraphonic shell at the center (bead) is greater than the circumference at the bearing edges. It seems like the wrap would have some kind of pucker or bubble, slop, or otherwise some kind of non-uniform appearance because of that. Am I wrong?

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hiya Stretch!

First off, Nice job on building that floor tom. Thats what I love, good old DIY stuff. it looks great!

Question: I see you are mounting two cymbal rods on the bass drum hoop. What kind of mounts are they? could you post a pic? I'm looking for something just like that.

Thanks and great job!

Retro

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
hmmm... Intrigued.. The total circumference of the Supraphonic shell at the center (bead) is greater than the circumference at the bearing edges. It seems like the wrap would have some kind of pucker or bubble, slop, or otherwise some kind of non-uniform appearance because of that. Am I wrong?
No, it'll look a little funny. It'll bow out in the middle.
Stretch

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hiya Stretch!

First off, Nice job on building that floor tom. Thats what I love, good old DIY stuff. it looks great!

Question: I see you are mounting two cymbal rods on the bass drum hoop. What kind of mounts are they? could you post a pic? I'm looking for something just like that.

Thanks and great job!

Retro
A number of years ago I decided I wanted to mount both of my crash cymbals on top of my bass drum, along with the rack tom. I usually use a flat based cymbal stand on the floor for the ride. Makes for a much smaller footprint, and brings everything in closer. I've never had a problem with cross-sounds when playing live; i.e. the cymbals don't shake when I play the bass drum, and the bass drum doesn't ring when I hit the cymbals.
The 2 mounts I used are simply old-fashioned cymbal clamp-onto-the-wood-hoop type that accommodate the cymbal L-arms. Sorry, my bass drum isn't available right now to take pictures of. Hope that helps.

Stretch

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wonderful work!

But, bro, that stripped floor tom, left as is, with a wee bit of sanding and a clear coat...that’s part of a $7,000 custom rat rod kit. Rust the hardware and you’re really on to something.

But looks good as you did it. All perfect and beautiful and such. If you’re into that kind of thing.

Latest posts