Ludwig P-85 Issue

jogelby

Reaction score

I'm having an issue where the pin in the P-85 keeps falling out.

I've used P-85's in the past and haven't had this issue so I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if there is a quick fix.

I realize there are better throw off's out there and am willing to try some others. I just wanted to keep the original look of my 70's Supra in tact.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll look at one of mine. Never seen this issue. Maybe a real small nut/bolt can solve this?

Normally I hear they are "sticky" (I've only had 2 over 35+ years with this issue) and a little WD40 solves that minor issue!

You can always buy a new P85, mount the main part, and unscrew & swap out the "black face" part for the new chrome part.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking from experience, and if you don't mind spending the money, then my advice would be to get a P86 or an INDe and be done with it. They're both much better in different ways and would do your Supra proud.

jogelby

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone! I think I might go with the INDe after getting so many recommendations and to avoid any future headaches with the P-85.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like it isn't really a serviceable/replaceable factory part as shown in the illustration.
I'd go the hardware store route for some small parts or make that investment in the INDe (as it looks like you're leaning).

Ludwig_P-85_Parts.JPG

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The INDe strainer is excellent, as is the Ludwig P88AC. Since you mentioned that you want to keep the original look of your 70's Supraphonic, why not just purchase a new P85? They're inexpensive and can be found for less than $25 with free shipping. Here's one on eBay from Interstate Music (Cascio) for $21.99 and free shipping... HERE Just a suggestion!

-Mark

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great photo, Hop. To the OP - Piece #7 comes off so if you do buy a new P85, just swap that out and you will probably never be able to tell..........or not.