Ludwig P-85 vs P-86 Strainer

BuddyRFan

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like some input on the Ludwig P-85. I just acquired a Ludwig Supra 400 and there are some parts missing on the P-85 strainer. I probably would just replace the whole thing rather than attempt replacement parts.

But, I'd like opinions regarding the P-85. Some people like the P-85, and others don't think much of it.

Appreciate the input from all you Supra owners.

Thanks. :)

R

RickP

Personally I have never had any issues with my snares with P 85 strainers. I do prefer the P 86 strainer if I had to choose between them.

BuddyRFan

Reaction score
RickP said:
Personally I have never had any issues with my snares with P 85 strainers. I do prefer the P 86 strainer if I had to choose between them.
Would post a photo of your P-85 strainer? A rubber type washer broke apart from the snare tension screw. I'm not sure, but it seems it was supposed to prevent the loosening of the strainer tension adjustment. One thing I did notice the last gig - the snare tension was inclined to loosen throughout the gig. I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 400 has one. I love the thing, but it does tend to loosen after heavy rimshots, and throwing off the snares—hence why I keep it at home these days.

Maybe that's because there's no rubber washer on it to speak of? If it's a standard threading, I suppose it would be worth a try to add a nut to add some torque.

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I prefer the P-83 its basic approach and obvious inner workings are visable and has a workmans look. Doc

LauraCai

Reaction score
I like the P85. Perhaps someone can chime in who knows, but it seems to me the newer ones do not have the problem loosing tension like the older ones. I have not compared them, but if that is the case perhaps Ludwig made a subtle change to address the issue. The P86 is great in my book as well.

ianjphil

Reaction score
I've had mixed results with the P-85's. On my '70 Acrolite, it's an amazing strainer. No problems ever, just smooth operation.

On my '09 Supra, lots of problems. It is one of the stickiest and unresponsive strainers I had ever used. I have been intending to get a P-86 for it for some time, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The P-86 on my '12 Black Beauty is amazing. Not only is it more aesthetically pleasing (to my eyes anyways), it has a super smooth throw off, really articulate snare adjustment. It is definitely my preferred snare strainer.

It seems like P-85's are definitely a hit or miss. While some of them, even ones that are 40+ years old, work amazingly, there are plenty of others that have had tonnes of problems.

If it was up to me, I would definitely upgrade to a P-86, rather than getting replacement parts for a P-85.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I see new p85's on ebay sometimes for 20 bucks. there are also usually p86 models for 39.99 shipped, I think. I have both strainers and like them both just fine. they are totally different as you probably know. matter of personal preference i'd say.

mike

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have 3 drums with P-83's and two with P-85's,and I've never had trouble till around a little over 2 years ago,when the P-83 on my 65 acro. just gave up the ghost.I promptly replaced it with a NOS P-83.P-32 .Great work horse strainers ,and just so simple.

If your snares are loosening,try replacing the snare cord,and make sure you tie a square knot or a surgeons knot,and not a granny knot,which will slip.You can also try using some plastic aquaruim hosing ,or a rubber washer on the tension knob,dirctly above the post.

Steve B

Sticks4drums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have a chance to upgrade your P-85 strainer, then do so! It is a complete joke, and can't believe they are putting these strainers on their top snare drums. I had one on a coliseum snare back in the 80's, and thought it was junk then. Last year I bought a Black Beauty and it came with this strainer on it. It sticks all the time. Feels like junk, looks like junk, which means it probably is junk!

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the p86 strainer. One of my favourites! And it looks classy too. I haven't had any bad experiences with the p83, but I find that some p85 strainers work better than others. Great thing is that all 3 fit the same holes so it's very easy to swap them out.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the P86 MUCH better than the P85. It's just a terrific strainer in every way. I do, however, have some drums with P85's and they get the job done okay. The P85 is available all over the place for cheap. The P86 can be bought new for a little more money, looks very classy and is very good at what it does. For a Supra, I think you'll be very happy with a P86. I think it compliments that snare drum like a good rum compliments cola.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never had problems with my P85 strainers and bought a P86 to try on an acrolite I was fixing up. I really liked the P86 so I ordered one on my Legacy snare drum build. Great strainer and worth the extra money.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Stixnergard2 said:
Never had problems with my P85 strainers and bought a P86 to try on an acrolite I was fixing up. I really liked the P86 so I ordered one on my Legacy snare drum build. Great strainer and worth the extra money.
Can you use ribbon on the P86?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
DanRH said:
Can you use ribbon on the P86?
I don't dan. but, yes you can..

mike

Coco Nabes

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that the P86 is the better strainer but one thing I don't like about it is that you have to disengage the snares to adjust the snare tension. The P86 on my hammered brass is like that anyway. If Ludwig wanted to improve the design of the P86 they should increase the diameter of the tension adjustment knob so that you could get enough torque on it to adjust the tension without having to disengage the snares. With some things simpler is better and the P86 is about as simple as they come. P85's do the job but they are a bit flimsy and every one that I have had locked up at times. You can alleviate the locking by pulling the arm slightly away from the shell before pulling it up into the ON position. Not that big a deal, but you'd think Ludwig would've fixed the problem a long time ago considering they put the P85 on all their high end snare drums and its not that tough a problem to solve. Ludwig is building me a Legacy snare drum to make up for some problems I had with my Legacy kit. Even though the P86 is the better, classier strainer, I asked that the drum be outfitted with a P85 so it would look like a 70's drum to match the kit. I wouldn't do that if I thought the P85 was that bad.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
I have replaced all of my P83's and 85's with 86's and I am glad that I did. Two many instances of having to pull up on the tension knob to engage the snares or some other odd finagling. They are just not that accurately built. I know they work for a lot of guys but for me, I need all my drums working correctly all the time with no little idiosyncrasies. I also prefer using ribbon and having that option across all of my drums was very important as well. I don't regret changing at all. I still have the old strainers should I ever sell a drum.

cymtrich

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
the p-86 is a much smoother and more reliable strainer. changed all my 85`s to 86`s. much better!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The P83 and p85 are identical strainers except for the length of the arm and the construction of the slider/string holder. The P83 is a bent and stamped piece of brass with the threaded ball peened on whereas the p85 this entire assemly is a one piece die cast part. The groves in the p85 are more sloppy fitting than the p83. The key to having a P85 and to a lesser extent a p83 work smoothly is to unscrew the slider and clean and grease the grooves that ride on the strainer rail. Every one I have ever had that would stick, worked perfectly after doing this.

The P86 is really nice too but the p85 can be perfectly servicable it properly lubricated.