Ludwig P1216D Backing Plate

feelyat

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why Ludwig used/uses that gigantic mounting plate behind the classic tom/leg mount P1216D? Looking at it, it sure seems like regular washers would work just as well. Does a big plate like that reduce stress on the shell, or something?

Also, can anyone tell me why Ludwig might have drilled extra holes behind the mount? It attaches with two screws, but there are four drilled. This is a 1982 vintage kit, and both mounted toms (8x12, 9x13) are drilled the same way.

Photo Mar 11, 8 57 33 PM.jpg

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Two large fender washers will work fine for that mount and were what Ludwig provided for many years before switching to that big backing plate. I just installed one of these newer mounts on a vintage set myself and replaced the plate with two fender washers. However in your case I'd used the plate in order to hide those two extra holes. Looks like at some point someone put some other sort of mount on the drum that necessitated adding those two additional holes. Hard to say for sure how they got there but they certainly aren't necessary for the 1216 mounting bracket.

feelyat

Reaction score
Looks like at some point someone put some other sort of mount on the drum that necessitated adding those two additional holes. Hard to say for sure how they got there but they certainly aren't necessary for the 1216 mounting bracket.
Well, considering I bought this drum new and I never added any extra holes, I doubt that. Those holes were definitely drilled at the factory. They aren’t necessary at all, and are nicely hidden by the bracket and backing plate. It does limit my options, though, if I wanted to replace that bracket with, for example, an INDe bracket.

Reactions: bob

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Looks like that might have originally been intended for the round (concert tom style) mount. Maybe the factory had them configured that way initially and then changed directions on them.

feelyat

Reaction score
Aha. I think that’s it. At first, I thought that round mount had holes in a square pattern only, but it looks like they did them in a couple of different patterns. The replacement mount seems to have holes for both patterns.

0B333925-20C1-4B7F-8740-AAAB714E4404.jpeg

Maybe they pre-drilled a bunch of shells for both mounts. That would explain why it’s only on my mounted toms.

I guess it wasn’t the worst decision Ludwig made in 1982 (*cough* modular power toms).

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first thought was about the concert tom mounts but then took a quick look at one on a shell I have and there were just upper and lower holes (but spaced differently than the 1216) so "no, that's not it". I didn't realize there were different versions. Still odd they'd drill for both but obviously that's what they did. That could explain the change to using a custom made backing plate that can hide those holes vs. using standard fender washers (which should be the cheaper option) as they had done before.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 16x16 floor tom drilled that way, I can't be certain but it does look factory. I figure it was easier to have the workers drill all the same way with the 4 holes even when only needing 2 then or might have been a jig set up for 4 for concert toms and just used the same for these to save time.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, considering I bought this drum new and I never added any extra holes, I doubt that. Those holes were definitely drilled at the factory. They aren’t necessary at all, and are nicely hidden by the bracket and backing plate. It does limit my options, though, if I wanted to replace that bracket with, for example, an INDe bracket.
inde bracket ? .... do it .... my 1965 ludwig c/w new inde bracket ....

Attachments

feelyat

Reaction score
I love the idea of the INDe bracket. I just think it wouldn’t cover up the extra holes. Maybe, if I ever get these drums rewrapped, I’ll consider it.