DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think, 10 large?

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am lucky enough to have two sets, got both from original owners. Both 20-12-14 and one with down beat and the other with a jazz fest. Both sets of course keystone with no serial but one of the floor toms has the keystone with blue on it. Both sets have fading, color is just fair. One of the sets the chrome is slightly better than the other. I picked up both these sets in late 80s and then I was really into pre 1960s America made drums and to be honest with you I did not even know Ludwig made that design in pink. All I knew I had never seen that finish so I grabbed them. You know it seems like atleast 50% of the POP sets I see are 20-12-14 configuration. I am still friends with the 80 year old owner of one of the sets, in fact we had breakfast a few weeks ago. He bought them brand new from a music store in Bellfountian Ohio. I questioned him about the choice of color and he said he wanted to stand out! We both made some homophobic comments and had a good laugh.

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got that..
And I almost bought that exact kit years ago when it surfaced in NJ.
There's a YT video on it from the drum shop that had it.
I believe Bun E bought it though...? He "beat" me to it...:neutral: ;-)
Alas mine has some very minor issues but hell, I got one and it's my grail and it was a milestone.
Best of luck to Steve on the sale. Man he's had some real gems these last couple of months.

1960 Downbeat Outfit No. 988P in Oyster Pink Pearl

IMG_5183.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5209.jpg
    IMG_5209.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a kid sell me a pieced together...double bass O P set close to 30 years ago....He called me from my DAILY drum wanted ad in the paper....He was around 100 miles north of me..and had mom/dad drive them down to me...Funny thing...He told me they were Psych Red.....I asked him the serial numbers...and he said there weren’t any!....Once they were at my house,I saw what they were....All the lugs were rough...I had to show them a drum with clean ones for them to believe me.....There was a COB snare in the mix too....!...22-22,13,16,18...if memory serves....Bun E bought a few drums they day I got them....The 18” I recall...not sure of other ones.....

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So it is stated in the Reverb add:
"Some of you may know that Ludwig only made about 125 drums from this finish. That's "drums", not "drum sets". So, there were maybe 30 4 pc kits ever built."

That seems crazy to me. Only about 125 total Pink Oyster drums .....

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A pink oyster Super Classic came up in my area last year. Seller, and original owner, wanted $700. I was the second to contact. Seller said it’s mine if the first contact decided to pass.

So did you end up in second place? AKA first loser.

Mempho

Reaction score
Long ago I had a 12 and a 20. They looked awful so off they went to the next owner...

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

$16,000? WTH?!?!?! I mean, I understand that it is rare, but hot damn...that is crazy money.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what type of drummer pays over for just - just for- the color.

signed-puzzled.
I mean take me thru the mental processes'

maybe I should have used the word- person
Either way

Alternately
What makes a Seller ask over- way over- for sole reason of color
Either one
(well I can understand the Seller because he know there's people
(who are those people) that might just pay

What is 'the' draw

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
what type of drummer pays over for just - just for- the color.
I agree. I mean, I like some of the rare finishes because of the novelty, but I would not pay crazy money for a different color unless I was a pure collector and not a player. They are going to sound the same as blue sparkle, after all.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
at the same time Maxwells has a nice Pink OP Slingerland kit up (at an ask of $3900). I guess Slingerland Pink is not as desirable. (See Krupa-Slingerland//Ringo-Ludwig thread :) ) The Slingy looks nice to me!

I think it is John Aldridge speaking to Daniel Glass in "The Century Project" who commented that the difference between a 1964 Jazz Fest in, say, blue sparkle and one in "Ringo-wrap", is a piece of laminate about 15" long. Something to that effect.

The nature of collecting: rare is valuable because there's fewer of what more people want.

Last edited: