Ludwig Pink Oyster Downbeat Kit @ Maxwells

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
might it be if you 'see" drums (the drums themselves) as artwork?
as if they're a painting, or a coin, or a stamp.

I guess that going to be as close as I can get

Artwork

that entails actually 'removing' yourself (from the actual operation of the drum) and looking at it from some distance ( even if only 6 ft.)

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank Gosh I never fell for drum collecting ; )
you know ...(don't get weak now Joe...you've almost made it to The end.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve doesn't put a Year (that they may be/are) in text. Transition badge so they'd be all brass hoop- top and bottom-
Chrome plated or nickle plated

ah there it is April 27 1960

pe6vdowbdxi0pkfchyol.jpg

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess there's not too many Downbeat kits from 1960 -in any finish- around/left/ anywhere
Brass hoops mahogany/mostly shells.. add the fancy artwork and there you go.
matching snare..

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does the Ludwig only built about 125 Pink Oyster individual drums seem reasonable to you guys? I've read Pink Oyster didn't sell well but I would have guessed well more than 125 would have been built over the few years the wrap was offered.

I wonder where that bit of info originally came from? Someone who wants to sell a 16K set :) ?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
might it be if you 'see" drums (the drums themselves) as artwork?
as if they're a painting, or a coin, or a stamp.

I guess that going to be as close as I can get

Artwork

that entails actually 'removing' yourself (from the actual operation of the drum) and looking at it from some distance ( even if only 6 ft.)
That’s what I meant about buying them as a collector and not a player. If you just want to look at them, you’re buying artwork, as you said. If they are to be played, buy the same sound in a different color, as nice a condition as you like, and save a ton of money.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the Ludwig only built about 125 Pink Oyster individual drums seem reasonable to you guys? I've read Pink Oyster didn't sell well but I would have guessed well more than 125 would have been built over the few years the wrap was offered.

I wonder where that bit of info originally came from?

I have seen this claim thrown around for years regarding whatever rare drum is up for sale. “Bill Ludwig told me they only made 200 of these” or “back in the day the shop owner said…” or whatever. Usually the number is 200, but it varies. I can’t bring myself to believe such an unverifiable statement.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong they are very over priced. But if it was a 52 fender in a color that they only produced so many no one would question the price. If you think about it 50/60s fender fetch 25k and up yet the same year drums maybe a few thousand. Clearly drums being the better deal as there’s more of them.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I am actually happy to see drum prices climb up into guitar territory. This set and Marko's set may be the only two in existence. Also finding a 14" floor tom in ANY finish from 1959-60 is damn near impossible. The exist but there are not many. I was at the Chicago drum show a few years back when they had the guitar stuff on the other side. Just for fun I decided to go over there. I actually got pretty nervous being in that room as everything was priced so high! I saw a 1965 Strat that was pretty beat up and very used with an asking price of $16,000! That is just nuts!

Unless you go to one of Marko's gigs, where would you ever see another? It's also not like anyone comes even close to making this finish. I personally love the color and think it is super cool. I could stare at it for hours!

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Millions of people chase after those guitars, and they are associated with globally-known superstars, hence the high prices. Drums, as much as we love them, not so much.

I think the price on the Maxwell drums is ridiculous.

A set from a historic drummer with provenance to prove it would be a different story.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Millions of people chase after those guitars, and they are associated with globally-known superstars, hence the high prices. Drums, as much as we love them, not so much.

I think the price on the Maxwell drums is ridiculous.

A set from a historic drummer with provenance to prove it would be a different story.
I agree. If bohnam, ringo, or buddy played that po kit they would tac on 100k.

Jolo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A WW1 era “Inverted Jenny” 24 cent US postage stamp sold for 1.3 million dollars and you can’t even lick it, or you wouldn’t want to. I’ll bet that Oyster Pink set plays great.
Stamps, coins, comic books, trading cards, cars, wine, toys, guitars, drums, on and on...
Super rare collectables are very valuable.

Attachments

• 20AEB5EA-12A6-4D2E-9D4F-96DB4A3AB18D.jpeg
    20AEB5EA-12A6-4D2E-9D4F-96DB4A3AB18D.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A WW1 era “Inverted Jenny” 24 cent US postage stamp sold for 1.3 million dollars and you can’t even lick it, or you wouldn’t want to. I’ll bet that Oyster Pink set plays great.
Stamps, coins, comic books, trading cards, wine, toys, guitars, drums, on and on...
Super rare collectables are very valuable.

There you are! Next question: what were there more of: individual Ludwig drums wrapped in pink oyster (drums, not kits) or inverted Jenny stamps?

I think if I was in the collecting market again, and entertaing an expensive purchase, I'd have gone for Maxwell's current Slingerland Pink Oyster pearl kit. Not as rare as the Ludwig, but rare enough for my imaginary budget.