Ludwig Pink Oyster Downbeat Kit @ Maxwells

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
There you are! Next question: what were there more of: individual Ludwig drums wrapped in pink oyster (drums, not kits) or inverted Jenny stamps?

I think if I was in the collecting market again, and entertaing an expensive purchase, I'd have gone for Maxwell's current Slingerland Pink Oyster pearl kit. Not as rare as the Ludwig, but rare enough for my imaginary budget.

They printed 100 Jenny's for release. We can estimate that most of those still exist in used to unused form. How many Ludwig POP 14x14 or downbeat snare drums were made? Certainly not nearly the
same number as the Jenny. Now one advantage to the Jenny is world wide notoriety, easily transportable, and easily "understood," and under huge demand. It's why they can sell for $1 MILL. The best Ludwig
POP kit is at least 'reasonable' compared to an Inverted Jenny 24c stamp. Drums have not kept up with the demand and notoriety of collector guitars over the 50 yrs. Lots more people play guitars. Guitar players are out front
of the group, usually featured players/singers. But over time, would not be surprised to see some of the better drums separate themselves further from the pack.....like this POP Ludwig.....and in particular because it's in the same
period as when the Beatles came about (ie relative of Ringo's BOP....and LOTS rarer). Over the long term I'm much rather own this POP than a similar condition '63-'65 BOP

Note: Maxwell's POP Slingerland '62 kit isn't in the 12/14/downbeat sizes like the Ludwig. It has 13/16/cob snare which is not of the same desirability. And the two toms had post-factory vent holes added to them. So not really
comparable.

Last edited:

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what type of drummer pays over for just - just for- the color.

signed-puzzled.
I mean take me thru the mental processes'

maybe I should have used the word- person
Either way

Alternately
What makes a Seller ask over- way over- for sole reason of color
Either one
(well I can understand the Seller because he know there's people
(who are those people) that might just pay

What is 'the' draw
A guy near me collects Ludwigs to the point of having each finish made for each decade. He is not far from being done but there is always something missing in his mind.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A guy near me collects Ludwigs to the point of having each finish made for each decade. He is not far from being done but there is always something missing in his mind.
I’d love to see that collection

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stamps do take up less room.

I dated a Jenny once but I could never get her inverted.

Whoa, esoteric risque stamp collector humor! Talk about a niche.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy I know here in Detroit had a 22/13/16 in Oyster Pink, possibly with snare, that I saw him use on gigs. It was in nice shape, and he knew what he had. This was about 10-15 years ago, and I believe he sold them to someone who is on this Forum...

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love pink oyster. This kit is great and there’s only so many made. And def cheaper then the original posting. And it’s been owned, played and built for
Bun.

Reaction score
A guy I know here in Detroit had a 22/13/16 in Oyster Pink, possibly with snare, that I saw him use on gigs. It was in nice shape, and he knew what he had. This was about 10-15 years ago, and I believe he sold them to someone who is on this Forum...

I had the kit you're referring to. John Dorn now owns it. And, I owned the downbeat set from this thread.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the kit you're referring to. John Dorn now owns it. And, I owned the downbeat set from this thread.
Dig! I thought so. Bought from my pal Chip (or Charles, for the formal). I remember seeing it, and it was in great shape. He knew he probably shouldn't be gigging it out in the rough-and-tumble garage revival scene here. He is a fairly refined player, too.

Chip recently sold a Slingerland Black Sparkle (?) Veil finish set around these parts.