Ludwig Pink Oyster Pearl?

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does this wrap actually exist anywhere? I've yet to see a full kit of it.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It didn't sell very well but it was available for a while in the late 50's/early 60's. I'd love to find a set. There have been a couple sets pop up on ebay and they were very cool. I think Bun E. may have a set in his collection. There was another collector that had a set or two as well, they were pictured in Rob C's Ludwig book.

Among the rarest of the rare in wraps...probably as rare (or rarer) than Citrus mod.
Slingerland and Rogers also used that wrap and their versions do seem to be slightly easier to find.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
thanks for the pic kevin. thats one of the most beautiful wraps around in my opinion and so little of it around.

mike

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
mlayton said:
thanks for the pic kevin. thats one of the most beautiful wraps around in my opinion and so little of it around.

mike
I wish it were mine (just a photo snagged off ebay at some point).
The snare drums do pop up occasionally but I haven't seen a set on ebay for a few years.

Another ebay image....

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
K.O., those Super Classics are beautiful; Jolo had a couple of ludwig snares in Chicago at the show--really nice. I've got a picture somewhere...marko

marko52

Reaction score
Here are Jolo's 2: a JZ & a trans-badge Classic. I told you they were nice....marko

AVL

Reaction score
Here's a full set I missed out on by one hour. Still think of that day once in a while......damn.

Rogers issued drums in 1967 calling the color Pink Strata. I wanted this set very much. After a couple of years, I traded it for some other drums that I wanted more than the pink ones. I was annoyed that the colors and patterns varied significantly within a drum set that came together from the factory. I have seen some Slingerland and Leedy sets in the same wrap. The color and pattern variances were there, too.

Note: I think that the 10x14 on the RIMS cradle did not originally come with the 14x20, 9x13, and 16x16. But it was a better match to the bass drum than the 9x13.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
AVL said:
Here's a full set I missed out on by one hour. Still think of that day once in a while......damn.
That's perhaps my ultimate vintage drum dream...to find a Oyster pink set (and one I could afford). I think if I missed out on one under those circumstances I'd be waking up with cold sweats.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
marko52 said:
Here are Jolo's 2: a JZ & a trans-badge Classic. I told you they were nice....marko
marko
what was he asking for those ? do you recall?

mike

marko52

Reaction score
No, Mike, I didn't check prices on most of the high-end stuff. I did probably put my grubby fingers on them, even if it said not to. I did ask Jolo about prices on some of his things, & he was real fair with them, & also seemed willing to deal a little. I enjoyed my visit with him lots. ...marko

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sold Bun E some Oyster Pink drums years ago...

they were sold to me as Psych Red!....till I started asking about serial numbers,and he told me there weren't any!

It was a double bass kit (pieced together) with 16" and 18" FT's I recalled!

Most of the lugs were badly pitted...luckily,I had a 100 or so laying around.........

Came with a Transition badge 400 snare too!

Guy with his mom and dad drove about 150-200 miles each way to bring them to me....

Blair

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have two sets.Got both from origional owners.Both 20-12-14s.One has a JF matching snare and the other has a DB matching snare

mardigras

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
detailed the snare... still working on the kit...20,12,14 8)

Reaction score
I've seen a more oyster pink drums than citrus drums. I've seen very few minty oyster pink drums. The pink fades out and the brown mahogany shows through and the drums look "oyster brown" when faded. I have a downbeat set and a jazz festival snare drum also. I see lots of downbeat sets compared to most Ludwig 60's finishes, where you usually find lots more super classic sets. I saw an oyster pink prototype at the Chicago Show. OPP coming soon? Bermuda, waddya know about it?