Ludwig Pink Oyster Pearl?

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Mardi-
I had an oyster pink Slingerland Hollywood snare. I sold it to the lawyer gal in San Fran. Wish I still had it as it was a beautiful drum.
Bhall could've had it pretty cheap, too. I had it for sale at a forum fest.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would love to send pics but they for the last year or so they will not go thru.

Jolo

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
I brought the Oyster Pink JZ and Classic snares to Chicago to show two super nice
variations of the finish and a side by side comparison of chrome vs. nickel.
A lot of people seemed to be surprised how nice the nickel drum looked.
That one had a "No touch" sign on it because nickel is harder to clean after
handling. Chrome is no problem. I had an 8 lug Supra with a 10 lug Acro right
next to these drums and they got handled quite a bit --- That's just part of
showing drums. None of these were for sale.
Joe Luoma

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DAMN MARDI GRAS...........those Slingerland's are drop dead gorgeous!!! Nice resto. on the snare, I never really cared for the color till I saw that one!
Regards
DonS

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bun Carlos said:
I saw an oyster pink prototype at the Chicago Show. OPP coming soon? Bermuda, waddya know about it?

Is that going to be a Ludwig offering?
dang, First a Bun E. snare, then if this comes to pass I'll have to get one of those as well and I still need to snag one of those Oyster Black snares with the righteous wrap...after nearly 30 years of abstinence I'm going to go broke buying NEW Ludwig drums.

I just wish they would do more 8 luggers...IMO the perfect number of tension points for wooden snares.

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bun Carlos said:
I saw an oyster pink prototype at the Chicago Show. OPP coming soon? Bermuda, waddya know about it?

Oh boy... Oh boy..... Oh boy......

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder how hard it would be to make pink oyster with the new tinting option that Drummaker.com offers.... I have been thinking about it. Did any WFL badged drums sneak out of the factory in OPP? The only time I ever saw a pink oyster pearl drum, was in the old "Vintage Drum Shop of NYC" which was open for about 5 minutes in the mid 90's- and it suffered from terrible fade, and as Bun E said- looked like brown oyster pearl.

Is it true that oyster pink pearl was what Naughty By Nature was referring to in their smash hit "O.P.P" in the early 90's?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
el_37 said:
I wonder how hard it would be to make pink oyster with the new tinting option that Drummaker.com offers.... I have been thinking about it.

I'm curious about that wrap tinting as well....that opens up a whole world of possibilities.

el_37 said:
Did any WFL badged drums sneak out of the factory in OPP?

Apparently so.

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K.O. said:
el_37 said:
I wonder how hard it would be to make pink oyster with the new tinting option that Drummaker.com offers.... I have been thinking about it.

I'm curious about that wrap tinting as well....that opens up a whole world of possibilities.

el_37 said:
Did any WFL badged drums sneak out of the factory in OPP?

Apparently so.

How does this process work exactly?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well the "samples" I posted are simply photoshopped Oyster Pink but it appears that the technology now exists to produce wraps in about any shade you can think of. At the Chicago show Drum Supply house had a display showing numerous variations in shades available in glitters and marine pearls. My guess is that they use computer type industrial strength printers to tint the outer layer of the wrap, either putting the color directly on the outside of the wrap or else on the inside prior to putting the wrap together (in regular sparkles/glitters the color is determined by the tint of the outer layer, on marine Pearls the final color is usually determined by the color of the backing but some also have a tint on the outer layer). It also appears that they can do color fades using this technique.

I have a hunch that the Citrus mod glitter was also produced in this fashion only with a random swirl of colors (although it probably does repeat at some point) instead of a solid color over the glitter base.

I was going to ask them all about this but their booth was always busy when I was around so I didn't get the chance, but there is some real potential there. The day is apparently here where it is possible to do small runs of any color, so it will be possible to really customize your drums if you want to.

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
trappemann said:
So what would an OPP Jazz Festival be worth In great shape?

Wha'do I know, but I'd bet it'd go for what a Ringo would fetch due to the scarcity of it.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
trappemann said:
So what would an OPP Jazz Festival be worth In great shape?

do you have one by chance? i'd love to see pics if you do.

mike

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
They should be worth a bunch more than an Oyster Black example but they don't seem to be in actual practice despite being among the rarest wraps. I'd guess the reason being that a rare wrap is a drum collector thing while an Oyster Black Jazzfest is a drum/Ringo/Beatles collector thing. A lot more people are chasing those matching Ringo snares than an odd wrap that most people don't even remember.

nonagon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DanC said:
That's a tough color to find in either Ludwig or Rogers, since the guys back then didn't want Pink Drums. :wink:
They weren't confident enough in their masculinity. I'll take a pink oyster pearl kit. Heck I'll even lay down with another man...'cause that's what real men do. :love6: (kidding of course)

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
A real man could play these....at least i could if they were mine...

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
those are beautiful. that color is very appealing to me. it almost has a salmon look to it. i dont consider it girly at all.

mike

Latest posts