Ludwig Pink Oyster Pearl?

DaveB

Reaction score
I feel terrible that I have a 1964 Slingy kit with matching snare in Oyster Pink sitting right here behind me. :)

DaveB

Reaction score
There you go - http://smg.photobuck...om/albums/v601/ ... e%20Krupa/

Super Gene Krupa set 13/16/22 & 14x5.5" Artist snare. The rail mount is a factory installed Ludwig strangely. I am a little ashamed of the RIMS mount that was on there at the time, it has come off since, but it made the floor easier to mount when gigging and sound better too. The b/d cymbal arm is non-original and was only on there for the photo :)

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
thanks for posting those. thats a kit to be real proud of. they are beautiful.

mike

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the shame over rims mounts. I think if the kit is going to be played a lot and needs to sound good and really ring out, you need to rims mount it for sure.

It might not make the vintage kit look the most original, but I'm in the "buy to play" not only collect camp.

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bun Carlos said:
The pink fades out and the brown mahogany shows through and the drums look "oyster brown" when faded.....I saw an oyster pink prototype at the Chicago Show. OPP coming soon? Bermuda, waddya know about it?
This is because the old aniline-based red dyes were highly unstable and oxidized. It's the same reason that Burgundy Sparkle faded to "Rootbeer" and old sunburst Les Paul's became "Honeyburst", as the red dyes faded to virtual non-existence.

Bun, I am sending you a PM.

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
DaveB said:
There you go - http://smg.photobuck...om/albums/v601/ ... e%20Krupa/

Super Gene Krupa set 13/16/22 & 14x5.5" Artist snare. The rail mount is a factory installed Ludwig strangely. I am a little ashamed of the RIMS mount that was on there at the time, it has come off since, but it made the floor easier to mount when gigging and sound better too. The b/d cymbal arm is non-original and was only on there for the photo :)

I highly doubt Slingerland would factory install a Ludwig mount on one of their kits!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
k.zildjian said:
I highly doubt Slingerland would factory install a Ludwig mount on one of their kits!

More likely dealer installed...some of the old line major drum shops would order shell packs with all "virgin" drums and then install whatever brand of mounts the customer asked for.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
k.zildjian said:
The Slingerland and Ludwig mounts were not all that much different from one another then though,so why do that?
Good question...I suppose you could say that since they weren't much different it really wouldn't matter much either way so maybe that was all that was in stock at the time and whomever didn't care one way or the other. I guess there is no way of ever knowing unless someone has firsthand knowledge.

A lot of the nitty gritty details that we all seem to sweat over today didn't really seem to be as important back then. You can find numerous vintage photos of big name pro drummers with mix and match brand sets, sometimes not even the same color.

DaveB

Reaction score
All I can say about that rail mount is that there are no indications anything else was ever there other than the Luddy mount. I did have some photos of it but I don't know where they are and the drum itself is stacked at the bottom of a rather inaccessible column so I can't get any more at the moment.

DaveB

Reaction score
I know of two more kits in the UK. If I can, I'll drop one of the guys a line and ask what's on his kit.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
That's got to be the ugliest finish I've ever seen. Looks like raw meat.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
JayT said:
I disagree with the shame over rims mounts. I think if the kit is going to be played a lot and needs to sound good and really ring out, you need to rims mount it for sure.

It might not make the vintage kit look the most original, but I'm in the "buy to play" not only collect camp.
+1. I know it drives some purists nuts, but I add RIMS mounts to all my 9x13 Super Classic toms - and keep them on the rail mount. I tried the suspension baskets on my floor toms, but they don't seem to work any better than the ISO-feet and they add weight - as well as make it very difficult to get that drum into a standard sized drum case. Nobody but another vintage Ludwig drum geek like myself (or several of us here) would ever notice anyways. It makes a tremendous difference in sustain and resonance.

Jnas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
... sometimes i dig that minimal sustain... am i wierd?

Reaction score
Sound mixers love drums with no sustain. The drums are easier to control in the mix. No EQ humming from the PA.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here's Ludwig's new Pre-Aged Oyster Pink Pearl (or Pink Oyster Pearl...whichever name they are using).

I've got the snare so now I need some wrap to rewrap some drum shells to match it.

To me this version looks more like a melted strawberry sundae than a slab of bacon...but that's just my take.

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K.O. said:
Here's Ludwig's new Pre-Aged Oyster Pink Pearl (or Pink Oyster Pearl...whichever name they are using).

I've got the snare so now I need some wrap to rewrap some drum shells to match it.

To me this version looks more like a melted strawberry sundae than a slab of bacon...but that's just my take.
??
I didn't know this finish was available? Can kits be configured with this vintage wrap?

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
An old friend from HS once scored a 20/12/16 Cleveland Rogers, at a garage sale, for $15.

Don't hate him yet though. The wrap was cracked to hell, but still, $15.

He still has them. They've been improperly stored in a barn, in Ohio, for 25 years. The shells are coming apart.

Now we can hate him.