Ludwig Pioneer tuning range

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As mentioned: hoops. I replaced the original hoops with 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops, and the pre-serial Pioneer was 90% of a jazzfest. Hoops are like $10/each.

-Ryan
Exactly! The majority of 60's 6-lug snare drums came standard with 1.6mm hoops. The exception was Slingerland. Their "rim-shot" hoops, aka "stick-savers" were much thicker! For all those other snares, such as Ludwig and Rogers, installing a nice set of 2.3mm hoops will bring the basic sound to a bit higher than "medium". Many times, you only need to swap out the batter hoop and leave the original thinner snare-side hoop intact. Try it and you'll be pleasantly surprised!

-Mark

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've come across similar comments online stating that it's ideal performance is in the low to mid range, with plenty of body. Perhaps I'll need to switch it out when I need something higher in pitch with a prominent crack.
Great for brush work or gut bucket blues

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
https://soundcloud.com/jda56/snareman

Image0239.jpg
Image0238.jpg

What years were these WFL's? 6L Could they 'go back to 1948?
What year range would the WFL 6.5 6L be in? thanks men
1948-1955 or what..
I used to know (looking up old catalogs I knew the part number -forgot that too- it was a 490 or..) , but wondering if anyone, off the top of their can recall

Last edited:

Latest posts