Ludwig Pioneer - Wow!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve had Jazz Fests and pioneers. I liked them, but they seemed on the softer side. Brought a jazz fest 5” to a gig (we were mic’d up), and the bandleader didn’t like it. Basically said it was too light sounding (and I have plenty of backbeat). I switched to a variety of other snares (mainly Ludwig Supra or BB and at times the Jordan Yamaha), and no complaints from there. I’m not sure what to think, but I moved to playing a Crav wood snare or a few metal drums. The Crav 6.5 Johnny C seems to have all the sensitivity of a metal drum, but a bit more organic sound.

FitDrummer

Reaction score
I’ve had Jazz Fests and pioneers. I liked them, but they seemed on the softer side. Brought a jazz fest 5” to a gig (we were mic’d up), and the bandleader didn’t like it. Basically said it was too light sounding (and I have plenty of backbeat). I switched to a variety of other snares (mainly Ludwig Supra or BB and at times the Jordan Yamaha), and no complaints from there. I’m not sure what to think, but I moved to playing a Crav wood snare or a few metal drums. The Crav 6.5 Johnny C seems to have all the sensitivity of a metal drum, but a bit more organic sound.
How many in your band? Yeah, I know from my experience, Pioneers either will sit in the mix or be too light.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
How many in your band? Yeah, I know from my experience, Pioneers either will sit in the mix or be too light.
It was a church that I was playing with for a long time. Modern praise stuff. Went to a different group a few years ago. At the time, it was keys, bass, 2 guitars, 2 vocals. Decent sized room. Before that I had used a JF snare for a restaurant gig (blues and rock covers) and it went over well there.

FitDrummer

Reaction score
It was a church that I was playing with for a long time. Modern praise stuff. Went to a different group a few years ago. At the time, it was keys, bass, 2 guitars, 2 vocals. Decent sized room. Before that I had used a JF snare for a restaurant gig (blues and rock covers) and it went over well there.
Gotcha! Yeah I can see with 2 guitars along with keys, the Pioneer could get lost. My band has the same lineup, but with 1 guitarist. But in restaurant venues, JF’s also would totally work well. I use my Pioneer in those types of venues.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gotcha! Yeah I can see with 2 guitars along with keys, the Pioneer could get lost. My band has the same lineup, but with 1 guitarist. But in restaurant venues, JF’s also would totally work well. I use my Pioneer in those types of venues.
Yea, I do like the sound and miss having one. But in the end, I end up using Ludwig metals most of the time and the Crav maple.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's my '59 Trans Badge Pioneer live at my church. This was during the summer where we always bring the band to the middle of the sanctuary/room and people sit around us. It's very low-key compared to when we're on-stage - hence me holding back a good bit. I started the video at this song as there is a small drum break in the middle of the song. Nothing crazy, but let's you hear the Pioneer pretty well without the other instruments, etc. And as always - headphones really help to hear the drums :)

FitDrummer

Reaction score
Here's my '59 Trans Badge Pioneer live at my church. This was during the summer where we always bring the band to the middle of the sanctuary/room and people sit around us. It's very low-key compared to when we're on-stage - hence me holding back a good bit. I started the video at this song as there is a small drum break in the middle of the song. Nothing crazy, but let's you hear the Pioneer pretty well without the other instruments, etc. And as always - headphones really help to hear the drums :)

Nice! Ok, yeah I’m keeping mine LOL!
It sits nicely in that setting.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice! Ok, yeah I’m keeping mine
It sits nicely in that setting.
Ha! Glad I could help you decide to keep it! There's just something about them. I've got a '57 WFL Pioneer also - it can come close to this '59, but it's missing something that this one has. Same heads top/bottom, same snares (12 strand original on both), nickel over brass hoops on both, both are 5.5x14. The one you hear is WMP and the other is clear mahogany lacquer finish. Both have bearing edges that look new. I guess some just have more mojo or something.

FitDrummer

Reaction score
Ha! Glad I could help you decide to keep it! There's just something about them. I've got a '57 WFL Pioneer also - it can come close to this '59, but it's missing something that this one has. Same heads top/bottom, same snares (12 strand original on both), nickel over brass hoops on both, both are 5.5x14. The one you hear is WMP and the other is clear mahogany lacquer finish. Both have bearing edges that look new. I guess some just have more mojo or something.
Nice! They really do! They’re robust snares that seve well in many settings. Mine is a ‘65 Black Lacquer 5x14 also with NOB hoops.