Ludwig pro Atlas pedal. Barely used. Base plate warped where heel comes a good 1 to 2 inches off the floor.

FargoAbaddon

Reaction score
I have no idea. Wasnt dropped or traumatized. I have a number of kits. This was on a rarely played Ludwig set. I moved it to another room. Noticed the heel off the floor as attaching to rim. Placed pedal on flat countertop. It has a bend causing the heel to lift. Took it to Lonestar Percussion. They dont recommend trying to straighten myself. They've been trying to reach Ludwig. No luck so far. I cant find a customer support number for Ludwig!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Usually warranty stuff is handled by the dealer, but if that's not working I've found this as their main number (Conn-Selmer, Ludwig's parent company): 574-522-1675
Someone there may be able to direct your call to the correct person.

Another option is to post on their Facebook or Twitter.

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
The current "Ludwig Atlas" is made by Gibraltar (or whomever is the OEM for Gibraltar, since Gibraltar is actually a design and marketing company and not an actual manufacturer). When I was in the drum biz, Ludwig had very spotty QC and customer service. Keep in mind that their present operation is a re-purposed former furniture component manufacturer with a very small workforce, one where employees often wear multiple hats, and like most drum companies nowadays (i.e. nearly everyone save Yamaha, Pearl, and Mapex), Ludwig does not have "captive" reps (i.e. they are represented by regional independent sales people). This last fact may have much to do with why the dealer is unable to "reach anyone", as responsiveness is often a matter of how attentive the individual rep is, and that can vary greatly depending on where the dealer is located.

That said, what you describe can happen if the bass drum is not set level (i.e. front is higher/lower than the rear, or the right/left side is higher/lower than the other side), or if the floor the bass drum is placed on isn't level (particularly if the it slopes down away from the player). Also, pedals that employ a base plate in their design have a definite "sweet spot" on the hoop for where they should be attached, and when clamped even a inch or so off center can cause rocking that often goes unnoticed. This, along with bass drum/pedal placement, and a level playing surface, can all contribute to the eventual warping of the base plate. I would check these factors and if none apply, then I would think Ludwig (at the very least) owes you a new replacement base plate.

Last edited:

FargoAbaddon

Reaction score
Usually warranty stuff is handled by the dealer, but if that's not working I've found this as their main number (Conn-Selmer, Ludwig's parent company): 574-522-1675
Someone there may be able to direct your call to the correct person.

Another option is to post on their Facebook or Twitter.
I learned today that Ludwig sent a replacement to Lonestar

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
That's good to hear Ludwig's qc not always perfect but I believe their customer service does best they can. I would suggest you double check how you have it attached. I have same pedal and always check that it is flat as possible before clamping down.

FargoAbaddon

Reaction score
That's good to hear Ludwig's qc not always perfect but I believe their customer service does best they can. I would suggest you double check how you have it attached. I have same pedal and always check that it is flat as possible before clamping down.
The base is not flat. Its gotta a bend in it.
20190730_110101.jpg
20190730_110109.jpg
20190730_110101.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Weird.....just weird. Never had that issue with DW 5000/9000 pedals. Hardware should be just that......hard! I love Ludwig drums but I don't need that.

Glad you are getting a new one......hope you don't have this issue again.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd bet that chances of this happening again are not remote. Notice that Ludwig did not emboss any strengthening "ribs" into the base plate. This means that the plate has no reenforcement whatsoever and is free to react to any pressure placed on it while being transported with other heavy gear in a case. It would have been so easy to roll in some ribs as the base plate was being stamped. Maybe they will correct the oversight in the future.

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts