Ludwig Question!

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
Hey folks ,

I have spent my time in isolation / covid world renovating an 1990’s classic maple kit

this thing was an absolute rust bucket and I am super proud of the transformation.

my questions is this…

I have a kick drum and floor Tom in a laquered piano white / cream type finish that is definitely painted.

my high Tom is a cortex white wrapped finish and is newer. Actually cool story got to pick it up from Ludwig plant in Monroe nc and will def share that experience another time.

they do not quite match. Does anyone know what the painted white finish is called and what years Ludwig offered it?

I really would like to source a matching 14x10 Tom with this kit that is the true color

Attachments

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The painted white finish was called Arctic Classic Coat. Three Classic Coat finishes first came out around 1988-89: Arctic (white), Sable (black) and Crimson (red). The Sable Classic Coat is still available; I don't know when the Arctic and the Crimson were discontinued. Classic Coat colors are polyurethane finishes that are baked onto the drum.

*Info from Ludwig's 1989 "New Classic Series Options" flyer.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There was the Arctic Classic Coat-V, as hsosdrum said, and Arctic Glitter-70, which was a white opalescent and came with the exotic oval badge. Classic Coat was available from 1989-2009.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot about Arctic Glitter. They discontinued that in 2012 – 2013. I know because I ordered a new kit in 2013 and tried to get it in Arctic Glitter but was told Ludwig had recently discontinued it. They found that the finish yellowed over time, and add-on drums didn't match older ones.

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
Ok, mine is not the artic glitter but the regular artic, regardless sounds like same scenario :/

back the drawing board!

anyone have a recommendation for a good drum cutter in North Carolina? I do have a 14 x 13 tom may just go that route. It’s too deep IMO to comfortably mount on my 26” kick.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you're already in NC, have you contacted Ludwig about having them cut it down?

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
Since you're already in NC, have you contacted Ludwig about having them cut it down?
Surprisingly I did and the said they won’t rework or touch any drums already produced. Idk maybe too
Risky if they mess it up

blikum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, mine is not the artic glitter but the regular artic, regardless sounds like same scenario :/

back the drawing board!

anyone have a recommendation for a good drum cutter in North Carolina? I do have a 14 x 13 tom may just go that route. It’s too deep IMO to comfortably mount on my 26” kick.
Cameron is the guy to cut your drum. He did my DW from 18 to 14, what a difference! And he's done other stuff for me as well. He's the guy. https://www.browniedrums.com/