Ludwig Raw Brass 8X14

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Just picked up this Ludwig Raw Brass 8X14 a couple of hours ago through some horse trading. It is used but you would never know it. I can't believe folks are not talking about these snares more. This thing sounds killer and looks just as good! My wife, as did my bass player when I sent him a pic, right away asked how old it was. If it was vintage? They really liked the look. It really has that cool vibe/mojo.

The guy I bought it from had put a fresh Remo Diplomat on it tuned up maybe medium tight and some new Puresound 12 strand Equalizer snare wires. He threw in the original barely touched Ludwig Medium head and Ludwig wires which is cool as I like to have to have the original bits and pieces as able. The sound is so good as is with the head, wires, and tuning that I'm going to leave it as is for now. I just backed off the tension on the wires a bit as I actually like a little rattle to them. I expected the snare to be much more ringy and brighter but it is quite controlled. Really cool!
20200516_144937.jpg
20200516_144952.jpg
20200516_144922.jpg

Last edited:

kevin klever

Reaction score
Yeah these things are awesome. We stock the 5.5 and 6.5 in the drum shop I work at and we can't keep em on the shelf, they fly out the door. Folks obviously gravitate towards it for the look, but you can't get these things to sound bad if you try. Ludwig is making some of the best stuff around these days. The jazzfest reissues are perfect too.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I picked up a 6.5" last year while I was chasing a raw copperphonic. Super happy I ended up here. It almost immediately became the first drum I grabbed for just about everything. Really, really great.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really only two words to describe that drum: hubba hubba.

Please post an artfully-lit and tasteful photo spread with your Concept Maples.
You got it! Just as soon as the band gets to jamming again. The drums are at our jam space.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DCP did a nice shootout with Ludwig metal snares a year or so ago, including the Black Beauty, COB, and raw brass snares. I was surprised how noticeably different these three are in terms of overall sound despite all having a brass shell and similar hardware.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice score, Wes! You've had great luck with Luddie snares, lately ;)
Yeah. I wasn't looking for this snare. I didn't really know about the Raw Brass. Probably due to feeling like brass can be a bit brite, ringy and loud, to my ears, and with the general high cost of them they just haven't been my cup of tea so I haven't been paying attention.

I admit, at first I was drawn in by the look of the snare but the sound sealed the deal. The fact I was able to do a bit of trading made it possible.