header.nohb.html

Ludwig Ringo Kit Sighting

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
what kind of drummer buys a set (or pays a premium) because it was (one of) Ringo's color? Explain to a jazz/fusion guy.
is there any rational reason (same goes for Tony Williams color Yellow)

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
no
to Ringo's early 60s color No.
doesn't do anything for me in any way except any leeway I'll give it - is either it was a mistake purchase , some posing is going on or it was all the store had at the time. No. but to actively seek it out? No.
It's a joke. Bad expensive joke. To me? No.
anything but grey frog in a blender anything..
I'd even take refrigerator/maytag/ white before it.
no. Am I clear on my "larger" picture? good. No.
Appreciate it.

Last edited:

mikepmcde

Reaction score
what kind of drummer buys a set (or pays a premium) because it was (one of) Ringo's color? Explain to a jazz/fusion guy.
doctors who continue to play in their high-school rock bands

Reactions: JDA

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
no
to Ringo's early 60s color No.
doesn't do anything for me
I suggest that your narrow view has a narrow relevance here. Considering the number of Beatles and Ringo fans here I think there may be other opinions that carry more weight in this particular thread.
you know what Mike you don't know me so just back off; sorry I ever responded in one of your threads. Have a Nice week.
Back off? Why? This is a forum.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Because they want it. Simple as that. Same reason people buy chocolate ice cream.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I question their " skill"

Great skills or terrible- what difference does it make? Most people who own RB 14x18 sets probably don't have much skill regardless of the color. If someone wants it and is willing to pay the premium- so be it.

If I suck, I might as well suck on a set I think looks cool....after all it isn't as if I would suck less if it the set was blue sparkle.

Last edited:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
The other drum forum recently asked a question: What drummer was responsible for making you dig what color?

My answer taught me something about myself. I realized that the drummer who influenced my favorite color gave me much more than a color preference.

Today that same finish not only takes me right back to what I loved about drummers in the first place, it also instantly returns me to the headspace of being the kind of drummer I want to be, every single time.

This isn't just about appearances. A favorite finish on the drums DOES reach into the notes and the music. It creates a shortcut for finding our inspiration and identity behind the kit. And there's nothing shameful about needing the shortcut. I'll be honest; life can make it really easy for me to forget that sometimes and flounder, or maybe even just give up.

It worked for Alan Alda. He once said of playing Hawkeye, "I never have to worry about finding the character inside me when I do a scene. Every time I put on those boots, I'm that guy."

You see? Alda used a shortcut to finding his art inside of him, despite having played Hawk for 11 years! No one can deny Alda has training and technique. So who would think that with his chops on the stage and screen, and with a legacy as one of the beloved TV characters of all time, that he might also need the occasional booster, a cheat, like putting on a pair of boots?

This may not be your experience, and if so, I envy drummers who can will their art out of themselves consistently like that. Me, I'll take all the help I can get!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
You miss the larger picture - it's also entertainment and sometimes there is a visual aspect that adds to the total experience.
I suggest that your narrow view has a narrow relevance here. Considering the number of Beatles and Ringo fans here I think there may be other opinions that carry more weight in this particular thread.
you must also think quite a few have $3500 for a used old fashioned drum set.
I don't. Rubs me as kinda obscene actually. So, I must be really "missing" that picture and I'll take the narrow view on it.
$3500 is still a car to me . And those sizes belong with and in the past. So where some may see dream I see in many respects a nightmare a narrow nightmare a narrow looking nightmare

Other than that

Last edited:

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
you must also think quite a few have $3500 for a used old fashioned drum set.
I don't. Rubs me as kinda obscene actually. So, I must be really "missing" that picture and I'll take the narrow view on it.
$3500 is still a car to me . And those sizes belong with and in the past. So where some may see dream I see in many respects a nightmare a narrow nightmare a narrow looking nightmare

Other than that
What’s wrong with the sizes?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
they been around a long time not very adventurous
but If ok for you fine/
kinda been milked - by Don Brewer etc- by the 70s- years ago.
not that adventurous to me +/- or been done; conventional;
I like something a little more adventurous; expansive; future forward-looking-

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
they been around a long time not very adventurous
but If ok for you fine/
kinda been milked - by Don Brewer etc- by the 70s- years ago.
not that adventurous to me +/- or been done; conventional;
I like something a little more adventurous; expansive; future forward-looking-
So North or Staccato?