Ludwig Rocker Particle Wood Shells?

Rob Broussard

Reaction score
I’m looking at what I’m told are 1980s Ludwig Rockers drums that have a particle wood shell. Were Rocker shells made with this material and if so does anybody know what is in this mix of particle?
I’d love some insight from anyone who may know. They sound great but I thought Rockers from this era were maple shell.
Thanks in advance
Rob Broussard
Massachusetts

Attachments

Reaction score
They made those around late 80's for a short time. People weren't happy with them and the "plywood" or whatever it was was discontinued, I was told by Ludwig back in the 90's.

Rob Broussard

Reaction score
I appreciate your quick reply and to know that they are INDEED Ludwig shells.
Best,
Rob

Jam-Man

Reaction score
I’m looking at what I’m told are 1980s Ludwig Rockers drums that have a particle wood shell. Were Rocker shells made with this material and if so does anybody know what is in this mix of particle?
I’d love some insight from anyone who may know. They sound great but I thought Rockers from this era were maple shell.
Thanks in advance
Rob Broussard
Massachusetts
I didn't know that they made particle wood shells...

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it is particle board per-se
It is a coating they sprayed on the inside and bearing edges of the shells.
I have a shell that is four ply.
Wayne

Attachments

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I don’t think it is particle board per-se
It is a coating they sprayed on the inside and bearing edges of the shells.
I have a shell that is four ply.
Wayne
This is correct, 4-ply shells with Zolacote. Rocker II's, decent drums for not a whole lot of money. And they are not particle board.

Reaction score
This is correct, 4-ply shells with Zolacote. Rocker II's, decent drums for not a whole lot of money. And they are not particle board.
They made plywood shells for a short time for their budget stuff..... They considered it a bad move in retrospect.
Your drums may be four ply with painted interiors, but that doesn't change the facts.

jmetatual

Reaction score
They made plywood shells for a short time for their budget stuff..... They considered it a bad move in retrospect.
I believe when you say 'plywood' you are referring to a lower grade plywood like common softwood plywood (typically pine) as opposed to hardwood plywood drum shells made with mahogany, maple etc. Softwood plywood or even 4 plies of poplar would be a budget material in comparison.

Last edited:

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally believe that Ludwig tried plywood shells for a while. But I have bought and rewrapped two Rocker II sets, the shells look just like those in these photos and they’re “regular” shells (4ply toms and 6 ply bass shells I’m told) with sprayed interiors.

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do some searches and you’ll find several threads on DFO where the issue is examined, debated and researched, like this one:

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Ludwig S/L kit that had that sprayed interior. They were plywood, and not particle board. I believe they were birch or maple and poplar.

Pearl did use a particle board type material on the Exports at one point, and that stuff was junk.

Here are the Ludwig shells:

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

pjmariner

Reaction score
Like others said, early 80s rockers and rockers IIs are American made, 4 ply poplar maple for toms and I believe bass drum is 6 ply. Later rockers with the big chunky hardware were made over seas. If the price is right they are some of the lowest cost American made sets you will find. I refurbed my set not to long ago to give you an idea. I went with a "resto-mod" approach.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Those particular shells sound great. Seems like maple/poplar/poplar/maple to me. On the set I had, the exterior ply on each drum was very pretty, though not highly figured.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I bought two of these bass drums in 1988 in white. I had some crazy hair brained idea that I would try to create my own Alex Van Halen 5150 tribute set since I saw the tour in 1986 when I was 15. I saved up a bunch of money from working crappy summer jobs and bought the two bass drums as well as an SDS-1000 Simmons set. I bought the pads and no brain and instead ran the sounds from a Korg DD-5 drum machine with a Simmons TMI as the buffer. I had no clue what I was doing back then and it was a pretty bad idea. I don't know what prompted the white color either but I think it was because the Simmons were easier to get in white as black had a long back order wait and I was impatient.

I never cared for those bass drums as I thought they sounded pretty thin. They seemed pretty cheap to me too and I eventually got rid of them. I did keep the Simmons set and still have those though.

1988 Kurt

Simmonskurt.jpg

Simmons.jpg