Ludwig Rocker USA These Are no longer available

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
From what I've been told, the original Classic shell was two "3-ply-like" layups, one inside the other.
When the shell finally went into production, the layup was changed to 4 middle plies of Poplar surrounded by 2 Maple plies.
The 4 ply shell just had two Poplar plies removed.
It wasn't until the 5 ply shell that those Poplar middle plies became thinner (probably veneer availability combined with more modern slicing techniques).
So the 6 ply Ludwig was similar to the Gretsch except they used poplar for the 4 inner plies instead the the 4 plies of Gumwood that Gretsch (Jasper) was using. The Ludwig shell was thicker than the Gretsch too.

Both Ludwig and Slingerland dropped the 3 ply shells with the single scarf joint for shells like Gretsch had been using for a couple of decades with the staggered joints. I don't recall which of the two Chicago giants made that move first (I think Slingerland's 5 ply beat Ludwig's 6) but once one of them made the change it was inevitable that the other would have to follow.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone buying these toms, here’s a pretty close match bass drum going cheap:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
So the 6 ply Ludwig was similar to the Gretsch except they used poplar for the 4 inner plies instead the the 4 plies of Gumwood that Gretsch (Jasper) was using. The Ludwig shell was thicker than the Gretsch too.
Bingo! :cool:

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
This topic has so much information I’m sorry I didn’t make an inquiry in a regular forum before listing.
Thank you to all who are contributing. At this point I’m really sorry I didn’t manage to get the bass drum with them!!

They’re still available. Someone make an offer!

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For anyone buying these toms, here’s a pretty close match bass drum going cheap:
Do you see the price?. My goodness. However pick up in Colorado would diminish any sale price for me. I'm 2 states away at best.

This pack would make the beebe5's sale an interesting project.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you see the price?. My goodness. However pick up in Colorado would diminish any sale price for me. I'm 2 states away at best.

This pack would make the beebe5's sale an interesting project.
Many of us have harnessed the power of DFO to pickup and ship drum stuff when the seller won’t…

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the descriptives get mixed up, but it was The Rocker Elite that went from Birch/(place name of filler wood here) to 100% Birch, THEN renamed Classic Birch.
Classic Birch was always 100% Birch.
Classic Birch did have birch and Italian poplar at one point. I had a classic birch snare drum around 2005(?) and the specs were 7 ply, birch/poplar shell.

Looks like they started out at 100% birch, though. Or maybe they just sold them as 100% birch, even though they had poplar cores.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Who told you your snare drum had a Birch/Poplar shell?
Ludwig. That was the description on their website at the time, and on the seller's website. I was going to buy a full set of them, but they ended up discontinuing them. Here is a screenshot from the wayback machine from 2005.

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.32.42 AM.png